Author Topic: Taking a Nephew Hunting  (Read 449 times)

Offline D Boone

• Trade Count: (0)
Taking a Nephew Hunting
« on: November 20, 2009, 03:12:37 AM »
I have two young girls, so haven't had to deal with this yet and just wanted some general advice.  Taking my  9/10 year old nephew hunting this afternoon for the first time.  He's never shot a gun, so I won't be letting him even hold the loaded rifle today.  I guess I was just wanting to see how he would react to the whole process before I get him trained up.  He has been really eager to go, but his dad is not the least bit of a hunter/outdoors type.  How would you handle a similar situation?  I need to take him shooting, and was going to try squirrel hunting next week maybe, but for now was just going to take him and let him see what its all about.

Ok, so all that to say, how did you handle the whole, I am killing one of God's creatures and it ain't always pretty or did it even come up when you took your son/nephew/daughter/niece/whomever hunting the first few times?  I am pretty nervous about his reaction, I want to do this right and not spoil it for him.  I already have a 5yr daughter that has read Bambi, doesn't quite get the connection but gets that daddy is one of the "bad" guys in that book.  Wish she had never been given that book!

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Taking a Nephew Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:40:54 PM »
being the father of 3 daughters i've been in a similar situation.  my oldest, 10 years, has shown interest in deer hunting.  this year we have been doing range work to get her marksman, or markswoman in this case, skills up.  started with an old 4x32 scope i had laying around.  taught her how to put it up and acquire a sight picture quickly.  once mastered, we hit the range with the 22LR and a rest.  she did great, dead on at 50 yards.  the next time out we went to the 223 in a lead sled.  she loved it, and once again was dead on.  Then we went free hand with the 22LR, then the 223.  all good.  so now the gun/scope thing is mastered.  then i shot a deer a few weeks later.  i asked her if she wanted to help me dress it.  she did.  she asked questions and i answered.  then a week later i shot a turkey.  she asked if she could pluck it.  heck yes you may pluck that bird.  so now we are on track with dealing with game.  next step is trying a little squirrel hunting, and i think she'll be ready for deer season next year.

just my story and how i've been dealing with this topic.  i hope it helps, and good luck to both of you.
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:59:29 PM »
  I started my sons, grandsons and now my grandaughter. Sons & grandsons were a snap..grew up in hunting households, so little "Bambi" explanations were needed.
  My grandaughter is about 11 years younger than my youngest grandson (she is 10)  so there is a gap there. Thank goodness, her mom has no problems with hunting and has shot competitive trap herself..so my job is not near as difficult as some.
  I like to start them at the range because it builds enthusiasm for shooting. We shoot in my own woods, so I use Necco wafers or animal crackers for breakable, biodegradeable targets.
  My grandsons liked the "animal" crackers..for obvious reasons....while my grandaughter likes the pastel Necco wafers... ;) :D
  I started my little girl with a Rossi youth .410/.22 "matched pair"..and eventually, I had to paint the stocks a lilac color..Yes they really are lilac, even though the photo looks more blue.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:28:04 PM »
 D Boone
First off congrats on taking a youth! ;)

I have started many youth. Most had parents who do not hunt. I have hunted and fished for a long time. So my kids only needed the gun training. No Bambi stories to worry about. Most of the other kids were 12 and older. So they were beyond the stage of why did you shoot that. My kids were helping dress deer, and even helped track a couple times(i knew where they were, but let them find them)

I started most of the neighbor kids shooting .22. And explained as we went along. Like the gun points down range, until checked. When their folks would buy them the shotguns, we would go to their house and shoot. This way the folks could see what was going on. Some parents just didn't care. they would buy a gun and drop them off here ::)

First few times out, the child would set with me. After I was convinced they would not set and play with the gun, and were mature enough to deal with it. Then I would move them a little further out away from me, but still in eyesight. Plus after a couple years, they would get to chose their stand and pack a radio.

Knock on wood they all became proficient hunters. Some still hunt, some don't. Just the same it was an experience i truly enjoyed, with each one.

Lonny