Author Topic: RCBS vs: Lyman Combo Powder Dispenser and Scale  (Read 695 times)

Offline Val

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
RCBS vs: Lyman Combo Powder Dispenser and Scale
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
I'm looking at purchasing a powder dispenser/scale combination. Would like some feed back on whether to purchase the Lyman or the RCBS. Thanks
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: RCBS vs: Lyman Combo Powder Dispenser and Scale
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »
I don't know many people that have both to give a good comparison. I have a RCBS, had it for a couple of years now and don't know how I got along with it.  RCBS is a bit higher than the Lyman but if I had to replace mine, I'd spend the extra for the RCBS.  The Lyman may or may not be as good but I have serious doubts about it being better.  Lyman seems to be up and down on their customer support in general.  I have NEVER heard that about RCBS.
Wish I could help.  They are a great investment, you'll wish you had gotten one years ago.

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »
I have the Lyman and (Being old) I check all the fancy new electronic stuff with the old beam scales. it has never been off yet. really like the memory feature, if only mine worked well enough to use it without getting out the book. Once you have a pet load you just put it in the memory and when you go to do that caliber again it automatically  throws the right load. DRAWBACK you cannot use it under florescent  lights.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »
I bought a Lyman from some member here thru the Classifieds. IT was supposed to be used but appeared new and unused when I got it. No manual came with it so it took me a long while to locate one and try it out. Worked ONCE then hasn't worked since. Less than half the buttons on it work.

Lyman has no warranty and charges a bunch to fix anything so I'm hoping Matt can figure out a way to fix it otherwise I'll likely scrap it and buy an RCBS.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Steve P

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:22:04 AM »
I have the Lyman.  At the time I purchased it, the RCBS came in two pieces connected by a wire.  I chose the one piece Lyman unit.  I have never had a problem with mine.  Used it to load over 1000 rounds in June and only problems were user error. 

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Modoc

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
Here is some fun, I have the Lyman (gen I) while my father has the RCBS combo.  If I had it to do again, I would go with the RCBS.  My Lyman takes a minimum of 30 minutes to warm up, I have a hard time keeping it zeroed (I'll have to check the lights) and If I want to use the scale only, the powder spout gets bumped constantly.  On the up side, it is faster than the old spoon/beam scale method and I don't have to hunch way over to read it as I am trickling powder.  It also beats trying to throw charges of stick.

Now, my dad's RCBS warms up faster (about 10 min.), has a faster dispense time and we can detach the scale for independant weighing.

For the extra cost I personally would go with the RCBS Chargemaster combo.

Will

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:02:05 AM »
I have had a DPS3 for almost 2 years.
Love it.
I would use it even more often if it did not have the long warm up time

Offline gary0529

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:37:33 AM »
I have the Lyman (Gen.1-upgraded to 2)  and very happy with it. I leave it plugged in so it is always on and ready-I believe I read somewhere that it was best to leave on constantly but really don't know where or why.
I use the unit quite a bit, probably in the 700hundred to 1 thousand throws per year range.
Mostly rifle as I use a progressive for high volume pistol work.

Having said that, I would probably replace with RCBS given everything I have read and knowing their iron clad replacement policy(they have NEVER let me down and God knows I have called them a lot).
I seem to remember that the reason I went Lyman back then was the unibody construction of Lyman over the 2 piece RCBS. Don't know why I thought it was better but that is what I bought. Maybe it was cheaper to buy to boot.

Anyway, take it for what you paid for my opinion.

Gary