Author Topic: velocity from a wolf?  (Read 855 times)

Offline dgreen

• Trade Count: (0)
velocity from a wolf?
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:20:18 PM »
I'm shooting a 240 grain cva sabot from cabela's with 2 pellets of triple 7 for a total of 100grains. Can anyone tell me the approximate fps that I'm getting??  I'm very happy with it, just started working with it, and it's going quite well so far.  Thanks

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
Re: velocity from a wolf?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:01:52 AM »
the two pellets of powder are equivalent with 80 grains of loose powder; with that and 240 gr. bullets, you are probably getting 1,700 fps

Offline dgreen

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I was hoping it was somewhere up in that range.  With a little more practice, I feel real good about taking it hunting.  Here is Missouri we are having a muzzleloader season after the real firearms season this year.  Hopefully, I'll get to hunt it.  I got it sighted in pretty easily last weekend, and I'm making some real consistent huntable groups at 50 yds.  Maybe this weekend I'll find time to extend the range to 100 yds, to see what happens.  Thanks again.  Doug

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 05:08:38 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I was hoping it was somewhere up in that range.  With a little more practice, I feel real good about taking it hunting.  Here is Missouri we are having a muzzleloader season after the real firearms season this year.  Hopefully, I'll get to hunt it.  I got it sighted in pretty easily last weekend, and I'm making some real consistent huntable groups at 50 yds.  Maybe this weekend I'll find time to extend the range to 100 yds, to see what happens.  Thanks again.  Doug

Yep, my Wolf is ready for the morning of December 19 as well, and guess what, i have quite a few days off work that week.
My Wulf really likes 80 grains of 777 FFg loose powder, and the Hornady 250 black sabot SST bullets (or the yellow tipped TC Shockwave, they are the same). It does not like bore butter, but it does like one wet patch and one dry patch between shots, for shooting groups. If i load and swab consistently, it will group into 1.5" at 100 yards. I suspect that your rifle would shoot much more consistently with loose powder, and it's not much of a hassle to use that. I will just use 2 speed loader type tubes when out hunting - but hopefully a second shot will not be needed, since i have no idea how could i reload up there in a climbing stand. 

At the range, I hold the rifle as i normally would in the field, but i rest my arms and elbows on the bench and sand bags. I think that this is important due to slow ignition/burn and significant muzzle jump. If i just rest the forearm on a sandbag, the rifle always shoots above the target.

My Wulf also likes the inexpensive TC Cheap Shot 240 grain bullets with black sabots (they are your XTP bullets but without a copper jacket and cost $7 per 20. They group into 2.5" at 100 yards, but they shoot better with 40-70 grains of powder. Good enough to slam deer.
I also take time to clean and dry the barrel before the first shot and i snap 3 primers, before loading the first bullet on a fouled bore. Still, i quite often get that first shot about 2" away from the rest.  I doesn't matter, i guess, my longest shot where i hunt will be 100 yards.

Good luck.

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:39:15 PM »
My Wolf has been great as well.  I use 90g of Pyro RS and 250 gr Shockwaves or Powerbelts....  Great accuracy out to 250 and awesome knockdown power....

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford