Author Topic: Case Lube??  (Read 1367 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Case Lube??
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »
I am not familiar with that product but in general dry lubes are intended for lubing inside of neck ONLY and are a powdered mica product. I am not saying the Redding product is as I just don't know. Personally I'd never trust a dry lube product for case sizing only for inside neck lube and I don't even trust it for that really. That's why I use a spray lube I make sure I hold the bottle above the cases so the mist gets inside the necks as well lubing them. The only way I'd go back to lubing without a spray bottle is if there were none made by anyone and even then I might figure away to make my own.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 05:36:03 PM »
+ 1 on the Unique from hornady.  It also can be just rubbed in, lanolin I think.  I tried Imperial, to much dents cases, tried Lee, it will rust your dies, water based.  Tried a homemade concoction, a little Lees, 50% water, 50% 91% alcohol, shake it up, spray it on, let dry.  Works if you have a lot of cases and spare time.

My 2 cents worth again.
Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
The Redding dry lube is ceramic balls with graphite impregnated into them. Turn the container upside down and shake a couple times, turn it over and when you put the case in, give it a couple quick spins. Excellent for neck sizing, makes the expander ball slide right out.
If your getting dents in the shoulder with a lube, your probably getting too much lube on the case, as this will build up pressure in the die when your running it in.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline 45454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »
Got a wild hair,for doing the 45-70 cases.
My bullet lube is mostly beeswax with a smidge of lard.
So I tried the bullet lube, and it works.
The cases don't stick in the size die.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 10:51:29 AM »
 Just a word about these "home brewed concoctions" they most likely will not likely be powder friendly.... To avoid ignition problems, be sure to properly clean your cases before loading.  ::) ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.