Author Topic: Question. Looking at Ultra Slug Hunter , will this allow for muzzleloader?  (Read 706 times)

Offline Raymond S.

• Trade Count: (0)
I want an H&R single shot for deer hunting. It appers if I go with the 20gauge, it comes with the SB1 stock like the Huntsman did. I can go with the 12gauge and it comes with the SB2 stock, which will allow for rifle barrels. My goal is to have a muzzleloader barrle for that gun though and they are not available anymore. I was thinking of buying a used 12 gauge /muzzlelaoder combo I found in relatively good shape just for the m/l barrel. I think I can end up with a brand new Ultra slug hunter and a used barrel, then sell the other part (12 gauge) combo that I wouldn't need. Will this old (2 or 3 yrs) m/l barrel fit my new SB2 stock that will come with the 12 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter? What if I go with the 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter?
I know this is a back and forth post but I'm looking for the best scenario here. If they were available I'd go buy a brand new combo but I think I'm forced into having to piece something together here and I want to make sure it's safe and fits the right way.
Thanks,
-Ray

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Question. Looking at Ultra Slug Hunter , will this allow for muzzleloader?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:40:41 AM »
Welcome Ray! The 12ga SB2 frame on the USH isn't the same as an SB2 rifle frame, it's an SB2 shotgun frame, H&R won't fit any barrels to it other than the 10ga and 12ga USH barrels. The 12ga/50 Cal Huntsman combo is an SB1 frame most likely and can only be fitted with shotgun, 357mag and 44mag barrels. The 20ga USH comes on an SB1 frame.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Raymond S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:41:53 AM »
So can I go the other way? Could I buy an SB2 Rifle frame and fit ANYTHING to it? Meaning will the shotgun barrels, rifle barrels, and M/L barrels all fit the SB2 frame, specifically if I buy a Huntsman as well already fitted M/L with the intent to just keep the M/L and sell off the gun?
WHat I really need is a single shot shotgun  w/ capabilities of switching over to a M/L.  Are the huntsman series as accurate as the new USH guns?  I can always just buy a Handi Rifle if I need rifled barrels later. Maybe I should just get the used Huntsman and worry about a Handi Rifle later on? Do the new thumbhole stocks fit the Huntsman?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 08:14:41 AM »
I'd get the Huntsman while you can if you want it soon, H&R is out of Huntsman barrels and won't be making any more until next year, see the Modernizing the Huntsman/Sidekick sticky in Huntsman forum. If the frame was made since 1987(see FAQs for build year info), you can get most shotgun barrels fitted or fit second hand barrels yourself, all but the 10ga based barrels which include the 12ga USH barrel, you can see what barrels fit SB1 or SB2 shotgun frames by looking at the model numbers of the complete firearms on H&R's website. It's also possible the Huntsman you're looking at is on an SB2 frame, they've made centerfire rifle combos on SB2 rifle frames before, like .50cal/243 Win, the difference in frames is also shown in the FAQs. ;)

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline peternap

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »
There is another alternative if you're a tinkerer Raymond.

I am converting one of my 12ga USH barrels to muzzle loader and will be able to use smokeless powder in it.
You'll have to either make or have made a special plug, but the construction is fairly simple and straightforward.

I can still use any of the stock or modified 12 and 10 ga barrels on the frame.

A number of people have also done the ML/smokless conversion on 45/70 barrels using the SB2 rifle frame.