Author Topic: SKS won't cycle  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (50)
  • A Real Regular
SKS won't cycle
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:03:43 AM »
I've had this SKS for about 2 years and have only gotten it to cycle 2-3 times. 
I have tried the paper clip - gas tube seal trick to no avail.  I also clipped the recoil spring.  I'll take suggestions but I am considering sealing the gas tube with JB Weld!!

PS: does anybody have a replacement recoil spring that they would part with??
Some is Good - More is Better - Too Much is Just Right

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
Re: SKS won't cycle
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
what is the county of origin of your sks rifle. some of the chinese sks the chrome would flake off and can cause the misfiring.... otherwise, I would check with the guys on the AK board....
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
It is a Yugo.

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
does it have the gas shutoff for gernade launching?
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 03:29:47 AM »
No, the valve is lined up correctly.  I even replaced the gas valve. 
I polished the old one and drilled a bigger gas port - still nothing.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »
If memory serves, there is a secondary gas piston under the rear sight.
have you removed it and cleaned up everything in there?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 04:05:32 AM »
Removed, cleaned/polished with crokus cloth.  The cylinder that this piston rides in was cleaned by going in with a tight fitting drill bit and turning it by hand. 
During firing it looks like the rod on the piston comes back1/2" to 3/4" and pushes the bolt back about the same amount.  If this pistonrod is suppose to come back more let me know- this is the problem.  If not (bolt gets enough momentum from the short piston rod push) that is why I clipped the recoil spring.  I thought the spring was too stiff to allow the bolt's momentum to push it back.
Near as I can figure is that I have a gas leak at the front of the gas tube and rear of the gas valve junction.  I have no way of telling unless I put my hand there during firing. If my hand comes away bloody then I found the leak.  When my hand get infected and gangreen sets in I won't need the gun anyway as rifles are hard to shoot with only one hand ;D

Offline Lager

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »
Ive had a yugo before and it functioned flawlessly,however your situation is somewhat common.
If your sure your gas system is completely clean ( yes,the short rod under the sight only moves that far),maybe this link will help.
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/sks/22220-sks-gas-leak-fix.html
You have me wondering something? How do you know your bolt is short stroking, or the bolt is coming back that 1/2 - 3/4 inch?
If you can see this happening,then I would closely at the bolt and recoil spring to see if its binding.

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 02:44:07 PM »
When I fire it I can see the piston rod stick out about 1/2" -3/4" (if I shoot from the hip and look down).  I have clipped so much off of the recoil spring that I doubt it is binding.  I can't remember but I think that I may have even fired it w/o the spring in it.   
I'll check the bolt binding but I would have thought that that would have been obvious, but I will double check.
I'll check out the link too.

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
consider wrapping the handguard/piston with computer paper to see how much gas pressure/powder burns  you are loosing. do you have another sks to compare with?

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 04:56:40 PM »
gas tube may be worn enough that the operating rod is getting gas blow-by
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 03:04:50 AM »
I don't have another SKS
If it turns out to be an enlarged gas tube where can I find a NEW replacement??  I don't want a used replacement as it may have the same problem.

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 04:44:00 AM »
Had a number of Yugos and recently had one with the same issue you are discribing.  After much searching I found that the common consensus is 90%+  of cycling problems are due to excessive gas leakage.  The following is what I did that worked, if anyone chooses to do this it is at their own risk.  I am not a gunsmith but have puttered with a variety of surplus weapons for more than 40 years now...

So I tried the paperclip trick with no success.
I bought a second valve (the part the gas tube butts up against) no success.
Finally in deperation I took the original gas valve, set it on a flat steel plate used a ball peen hammer of appropriate size and put the ball end on the valve opening where it attaches to the gas valve.  A couple (maybe a few) raps with another hammer "belled" the end of the valve enough to get a good tight fit.   A quick trip to the range with 50 rounds of ammo and Sucess... The gun now belongs to a buddy and he has not had an issue with it cycling...  It has been 100% with everything he feeds it.

Make sure and go slow with belling process and test fit is frequently so you don't over do it...

I would strongly suggest you put a stock spring back in it.  Going to a light spring is going to cause an out of battery case failure and this can be catastrophic damaging the gun and you and NEVER fire the weapon without a spring in it. 

You should be able to feel any bolt hangups by just putting the bolt and carrier back in the weapon and working it by hand without the spring it it.  You will need to allow for the slight "bump" as the carrier rides over the hammer.

Good luck..
DonT

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 05:34:42 AM »
I'll try that fix Don.  I'll have to wait to get another spring and until it gets warmer.  Smacking metal at -21* might split it rather than peen it!!

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 05:37:59 AM »
Warming the part with a propane torch might help...

DonT

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 08:49:07 AM »
Yeah, it will, but it is too cold for me to stand outside and do it ;D