Author Topic: 357 maxi load Confused by Lee 2nd edition  (Read 530 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
357 maxi load Confused by Lee 2nd edition
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:36:24 PM »
Anyone have a good accurate load for the maxi using aa1680 & 158gr Hornaday XTP?  Lee 2nd edition seems incorrect.  It lists a max charge for the 158 jacketed at 25.3 & the max load for the 180gr jacketed is over that.  What's up with that?   Could someone explain this to me?

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 357 maxi load Confused by Lee 2nd edition
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:12:10 AM »
I have shot 125 grain bullets in a 357 Max and I found that they just do not shoot well when you push the pressure limit. They shoot much better if I load them down. Down so low that they streak the whole outside of a case with powder soot. I think I read some where that when you push a light 357 bullet too fast, it distorts and causes accuracy problems. It maybe the same thing with 158 grain bullets, I just do not know for sure because I have not shot 158 grain bullets that much in a 357 Max. I mostly shoot 180 grain bullets. Consult other loading data, you should never look at just one source. I normally look at 3 or more reliable sources of data before deciding where to start and where to stop adding powder. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »
bullet weight is only one factor in determining a maximum load.
how deep the bullet is seated into the case, especially a straight wall case like the 357 Max, has a big effect on pressures.
maybe that is what you are seeing here.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 03:20:16 AM »
Looking at the Hodgon load data site, the only Winchester power load shown is for 296 in the 357 Max. Checking my sources, I can't find any data for AA1680 in the .357 Max.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:18:11 AM »
I've checked several old load manuals I have, and can't find any loads for the that combo of powder/bullet. I don't think that weight bullet will build up enough pressure for that powder. 1680 is, acccording to my books, is a slower burning powder that 296/h110. And you'll need a heavier bullet to get it to burn properly. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 04:26:45 AM »
OOPS, sorry. When I typed that, I had a 125gr bullet in mind, went back and read again. Your looking for AA1680 and 158gr. bullet. Accurate powder load book number 1, page 100.(It's the big thick,red book they put out in 1994.) They also list that load as max.,25.3gr./Nosler158JHP. Never used it. I always shot at least a 180gr bullet, most of the time, it was a 210cast LBT bullet. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »
200-210 grain cast bullet and 20-21 grains of AA1680 has always been mild and accurate in my contender.  180 grain RCBS and same load in my SBH was also mild and accurate.   I won't shoot a lighter bullet in the max.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 01:57:59 AM »
Its not secret here, I am NO fan of LEE products. Do yourself a favor and buy a manuel put out by whose ever powder you like and will be using. If you only want one manuel, get a LYMAN!!! Like I mentioned in the other thread on the maxi, the 158 is std fare for a mag/maxi while the 180's exist form them, most people load the 358 RIFLE bullet in the maxi. the rifle bullet doesn't seat as deeply, so the result is more case capacity and LESS pressures for the same amount of powder compared to the deeply seated 158 bullet. This is likely the reason for the variable. A good well written manuel would say this...
 Here is a couple shots from my own notes as well as some from a Accurate manuel NO1 (Same as what TIM, posted above):

My shots from my notes:

Hope it helps..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.