Author Topic: a question fer those in tha know  (Read 622 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
a question fer those in tha know
« on: October 18, 2003, 10:11:20 PM »
now if'n this here thang bout tha hi-cap mags doan git brung up gain the we'uns can start gettin em gain?
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 475/480

• Avid Poster
?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 04:49:53 AM »
??????????????????????????????????? :grin:

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
???????????
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 07:00:24 AM »
Think he is talking about Brady Law going away if not  voted to retain......................

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 11:52:13 AM »
yup!
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline kciH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 07:31:26 PM »
If the bill is not reaffirmed, for lack of a better term, the rules and regulations that it created will be null and void.  You will be able to buy all the hi cap mags you want in unlimited supply once the mfgs start to crank them out again.  Write your congressman, senator, and president and let them know there is no need for this piece of ridiculous legislation to be continued any further.  So called assualt weapons where used in 1/10th of 1% (0.1%) of firearms crime when this was enacted, and I've seen nothing to indicate it has increased or decreased since then.  The assault weapons ban and the ban on magazines over 10 rounds are one in the same thing for those who aren't familiar with the legislation.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 12:54:21 AM »
thanx for the reply-i thought that the case, but i really had not kept up with the lesislation.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 05:52:58 AM »
Yep, what kciH said.  A reminder, though, that the AWB is seperate from the Brady law.  If/When the AWB sunsets on 09/13/2004, background checks will still be required to purchase guns.  You can buy them with all the evil features you want, add more, get hi-caps for them without worrying whether they are marked LEO only, etc., but the Brady law will still stand.

Offline kciH

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 07:56:23 AM »
securitysix is correct, the Brady law is a seperate and permanent piece of legislation.  You will NEVER see the Brady law rescinded in my opinion.  I don't think it will be too popular, politically or otherwise, to take away the requirement that could actually prevent purchase by felons from gun dealers.  I know there are lots of problems with it, but I don't think you will ever see it go away.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
The timing is tricky.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 09:49:01 AM »
KciH is right, do write your congressman and the President, etc.  The thing that the elected officials are weighing is the timing as this dumb law will sunset and come up for a renewal vote just before the elections next year, and the liberals could say..."so and so voted to allow people to have high capacity magazines, etc".  

President Bush and others could take flak from this by the liberals if they support the gun community.  But if they alienate us gun owners they could loose big time.  George Bush senior and Bob Dole did not support us and we stayed home on election night, unfortunately we got 8 years of Clinton.  The good thing is that everyone can see the swinging tide of Republican success in the last major election, as well as Arnold in California this October.

We have to keep up the pressure, I have written Bush once, and also e-mailed him too, and I even e-mailed vice president Cheney.  I will hit my state's congressmen and senators a few months before the time to vote draws near, again next year.  Letters are the best, then cards, phone calls, then E-mail, in communicative impact with the politicians.

Offline kciH

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 10:29:26 AM »
As Chris has said, it's an opportune time to get rid of this trash.  The Democrats on a national level are not saying peep about gun control, and there is a good reason behind this.  They feel it is in part what lost them the VERY tight presidential election in 2000.

Remember that this bill needs to be approved by the congress and senate before it ever gets to Bush, and you can bet he doesn't want it to get to his desk to put him in the position of having to make good on his campaign promise that he supported it.  The farther it stays from his desk, the better off we will all be.  I think he'll cave on this like his Dad did if it comes down to it.  I would start your efforts with your congressman, where your voice is heard most clearly and is the most effective. One constituent means more to a congressman than it does to a senator, because he/she has less of them to draw upon at election time.  If it gets to the Senate it's going to go to the presidents desk.