Author Topic: What is your style of deer hunting ?????  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
What is your style of deer hunting ?????
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:12:48 AM »
 ;) While reading various posts, it occured to me that we visit about bullets, rifles, calibers, scopes, etc for hunting deer. But something that is seldom addressed is the style of hunting we follow when trying to tag our deer.  ;) For example, Maine has very dense thick brush. I suppose a 100 yard shot would be a long one there. In parts of the west, the country is very open and longer shots are the rule. In addition, it is common now to "hunt" from tree stands.  :( This was unheard of when I was a kid.....But in that area, it is  now common to see houses built on 10-20 foot poles to shoot deer out of. : :-[ :-\ Also many states permit hunting during the rut, over bait, and of course, some have access to tracts of private ground. When it first hit the market, the .222 developed a reputation in parts of the south as a deer cartridge. There the guys shot very small deer over bait from  blinds, and of course it was private ground. The length of the season and number of deer will also have a great affect on the hunt. With a long season we can afford to be selective in our animals and shots. So What is your style of hunting??
a.ave. length of the shot-
b.length of the season-
c.do you hunt the rut-
d.blind or tree stands-
e.private land or hunting club-
f. bait or food plots-
g.pressure from other hunters-
h.how many deer are you permitted each year-
i.are doe tags available-

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: What is your style of deer hunting ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »
This year I will be in NC.
Some will be hunted over a field.  200 yards or so as a shot.  Sitting in a blind waiting for the deer to walk out
Others will be hunted in the woods.  Still Hunting. 

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 07:28:22 AM »
 :DMc, Do you hunt any deer in Calif..???????

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:42:41 AM »
Not this year.
I did once and did not even see Deer POOP. 
NC I get 6 deer on my license.  In CA i am in a lottery to get a good area.
In Ca I will Pig hunt.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 07:55:23 AM »
For Iowa
a.ave. length of the shot-50-75yds
b.length of the season-2 weekends and the week in between/early muzzleloader
c.do you hunt the rut-yes, bow only
d.blind or tree stands-treestands&some still-hunting
e.private land or hunting club-Private land and some public during the week
f. bait or food plots-No
g.pressure from other hunters-mostly on public areas
h.how many deer are you permitted each year-1 gun &1 bow buck, unlimited does in some counties,until quota is filled
i.are doe tags available-Yes

Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »
Very open and flat country. Some places vegetation barely makes 12" and the cover is minimal at best. I hunt private land only on 12,000 acres of family farm and thousands more of adjoining farms. Shots can be anywhere from 50 yds. to beyond 400 yds. depending on cover and weather. Average distance of the shot is 200 yds. I'm guessing. No stands, no trees, no blinds, no bait...basically we find them with binos from several miles away and plan long stalks to get close enough for the shot. We see them long before we ever get close enough to shoot. Sometimes hours. We will use fencelines and weeds to cover us for a stalk.
  Mix of both mulies and whitetails and  generally we hunt bucks on landowner vouchers which are exchanged for licenses. A few doe licenses get drawn too. Almost NO pressure from other hunters, season runs 14 days Starting first of Dec. We can get one deer and if it works out in the drawing one extra license for a whitetail doe.

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »
My parents have 200 acres near Rolla, Missouri.  I hunt from a treestand in dense woods during the opening weekend of rifle season.  Most shots are under 75 yards.  Lots of acorns in the woods and my dad has planted sorghum/milo in some of the the fields.  There are five of us that hunt that weekend, and everybody bags a deer.

We recently purchased 6 acres in Defiance, Missouri and built a house.  All of it is dense woods except for the house and a small "yard".  The leach field was planted with winter wheat and now clover.  The deer and turkey love it.  My kids have a swingset with a 2 story playhouse.  Needless to say, the upper level doubles as a deerstand.  I shot a doe during the urban zone season this year, and so did my buddy from the playhouse.  My 10 year old daughter is planning to hunt the youth hunt this weekend.  The playhouse has proven itself and has earned its weight in venison.  Wish her luck tomorrow!
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:01:08 AM »
For 37 years I was in a hunting club here in Alabama. We planted greenfields and hunted from comfortable shoothouses. Lost the club a couple of years ago and now I do most of my hunting on 17 acres of mature hardwood and pine that is behind my home. I scout it out and put my climber close to a trail that is being used regularly. It's got a lot of deer moving thru it but as my wife doesn't eat a lot of venison I usually take just two during the season and that stocks our freezer till next season. I see a lot more than I shoot because I just enjoy being there in the woods. For a long time it was a buck and a doe a day during gun or bow season but now with the over abundance of does there is a limit on bucks. You can take four during the season and at least one of them has to have four points on one side. You can still take a doe a day. I like a big bragging buck as much as anybody but for eating the does do just fine.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 05:44:30 AM »
a.ave. length of the shot-  50 -75 yards
b.length of the season-  firearm season for antlered deer 2 weeks
c.do you hunt the rut-  I don't bow hunt so usually it's over by firearm season
d.blind or tree stands-  ground blinds (natural) yes/tree stans no
e.private land or hunting club- private property and sometimes a hunt club
f. bait or food plots-  no
g.pressure from other hunters-  some
h.how many deer are you permitted each year-  varies by county and whether firearm, and bow muzzle loader seasons. prolly 3 is the least
i.are doe tags available- for most counties over the counter/ some by lottery
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 06:15:10 AM »

a.ave. length of the shot-50-150yds
b.length of the season-3 weeks, late muzzleloader
c.do you hunt the rut-no
d.blind or tree stands-blinds & still hunting
e.private land or hunting club-Private land and public hunting areas
f. bait or food plots-No
g.pressure from other hunters-mostly on public areas
h.how many deer are you permitted each year-1 gun &1 bow buck, unlimited does in some counties,until quota is filled
i.are doe tags available-Yes

Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »
Texas
a.ave. length of the shot- 50 to 200 yrds
b.length of the season- 2 + months
c.do you hunt the rut- yes
d.blind or tree stands- both
e.private land or hunting club- private and public land
f. bait or food plots- Feeders on private, no on public
g.pressure from other hunters- some
h.how many deer are you permitted each year- varies by county - average 3 to 5
i.are doe tags available- varies by county, but mostly yes

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 03:34:10 PM »

Georgia

a.ave. length of the shot-  20 -125 yds
b.length of the season-  4 months.  the first month is bow then BP.
c.do you hunt the rut-  yes
d.blind or tree stands-  both... maybe lawn chairs
e.private land or hunting club-  private land
f. bait or food plots- no
g.pressure from other hunters-  not much
h.how many deer are you permitted each year- 12:  2 bucks, 10 does.  Any deer taken on WMA hunts don't count against your season limit
i.are doe tags available-  ???  see h.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline tangob5

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »
I live in the San Diego area and just finished up my deer hunting for this year.  I had a G13 Antlerless tag and a D16 2x2 or better tag.  Last Wednesday I took a doe at 65 yards after pushing 3 deer up an oak lined canyon for about 1/2 mile.  Finally got abreast of them and the one I took just stared at me before she ended up with a hole in both her lungs.  Yesterday, I took a buck at first light strolling through a meadow at 80 yards.  Typically I like to stalk mule deer.  They are a lot different then whitetail.  Typical hunt is I keep walking slow and stopping with a bit of noise near bedding areas on hillsides.  If there is one bedded down it will usually get up and look to see what's coming.  They are not prone to wasting energy so if you stand perfectly sill they will stare at you for awhile then decide if your a threat or not.  That's your cue to shoot with a shot that is probably no more then 20ft. to 50 yards.  Many of my deer have been taken this way the rest less then 100 yards even though I could see out to 1/4 mile in areas.  Only 1 deer taken over 240 yards and that was because I was young and didn't know any better.  It was a bear getting back out of that canyon.  1500 feet down and 1500 feet back up again through some nasty brush.

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
South Carolina
a.ave. length of the shot- 100 yards
b.length of the season- personally - 10 days non-resident
c.do you hunt the rut- what I believe to be the rut in late Oct thru early Nov.
d.blind or tree stands- stands
e.private land or hunting club- Private
f. bait or food plots- Sad that you lump both together.  I would never consider food plots to be bait.  I hunt from stands adjacent to open fields and in the woods.
g.pressure from other hunters- No.
h.how many deer are you permitted each year- 10 - 5 bucks and 5 does
i.are doe tags available- Yes...four (4) and liberal "Either Sex" hunting days too.

Florida
a.ave. length of the shot- 100 yards
b.length of the season- ~60 days during Modern Gun
c.do you hunt the rut- Late rut maybe.  Have seen fetuses indicating gestation in July
d.blind or tree stands- Stands
e.private land or hunting club- Private
f. bait or food plots- Stands adjacent to open fields and in the woods.
g.pressure from other hunters- Poachers mainly
h.how many deer are you permitted each year- Unlimited.  When rendered into the freezer, they become "groceries" according to the FWC.
i.are doe tags available- Only on property greater than 640 acres

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »
I hunt southern california my season last 2 months.
1 month bow, 1 month rifle. sept & oct.
2 buck limit 1x2 or better/ no doe's except for junior hunts.
all public land ((war zone))!!!
no baiting allowed!
no food plots around, just citrus groves.
I hunt just shy of our rut.
This year I hunted over a water seep in the mornings then still hunted the day & hunted draws & revines in the evenings. most locals hunt tree stands, I havent yet.
Theres nothing like hunting mule deer at eye level !!! When I find the perfect stand location I will put my ladder stand up & keep mineral licks out there year round. I have seen what mineral licks have done to deers antlers on privat land & WOW! I'm impressed. Especialy since southern california isnt known to have very big deer. I found a buck skull That was only a fork horn but it was 16 inch tip to tip , 30 inch outside spread, has 5 inch bases & is also sporting a 3 & 4 inch brow tine to boot!
I would post a pic but am having computer problems.

Offline Halwg

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »
WV - woods and brush.
70 yards
3 weeks for buck & doe
The rut is generally over when gun season starts.
I hunt from a fold up chair on the ground
Private & public land
No bait
Lots of pressure on opening day
2 bucks - gun season. 4 does in select counties. 2 muzzleloader deer.
Up to 4 doe tags.
The older I get...The better I was.

Offline Bob the Cynic

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »
a.ave. length of the shot-
b.length of the season-
c.do you hunt the rut-
d.blind or tree stands-
e.private land or hunting club-
f. bait or food plots-
g.pressure from other hunters-
h.how many deer are you permitted each year-
i.are doe tags available-

A:  Fifty yards or less.  I've never shot a deer more than seventy yards away.  Hell, chances are you won't be able to see a deer that is farther away than that.
B: Rifle + Muzzleloader, Six weeks, give or take (Three months for bow season)
C: Yes
D: Neither, I just plunk my butt down next to a tree.
E:  Private, but in the states I hunt, unless it's posted it's open to hunting.
F:  Neither unless you consider oak trees a food plot.
G:  Minimal to significant depending upon where I'm hunting.
H:  One, sometimes two with a firearm (plus two more if you bow hunt) One wildlife management unit has extra doe tags available to purchase and the neighboring state that I also hunt has a lottery for a bonus doe tag
I: Yes and there are either sex dates that vary throughout the state.

Thick New England woods.  Mostly stand hunting with some still hunting mixed in depending on conditions.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
A: 25-160(longest shot to date)
B: Sept 27-Dec 22 (early bow to late ML)
C: Yes
D: Hide in brush or treestsands
E: Private land some state land
F: If a clover field qulifies as a food plot. Can't bait in N.Y.
G: Ocasionally
H: Six tags this year
I: yes 4 of my tags are doe tags
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 04:58:52 PM »
It's great to read about everyone's experiences. I know growing up, i never really understood that there was alllllll different kinds of hunting... I grew up knowing one way, which is apparently different from alot of you guys...

At the risk of being flamed, here it is... in a nut shell....

a.ave. length of the shot-  I've shot deer anywhere from 20 yds, to 350...

b.length of the season-     Archery, all of october, General november thru first part of january.  However, work and scheduling with the rest of the family, I get about 1 week a year...

c.do you hunt the rut-       If possible, yes... been a long time tho mainly due to work

d.blind or tree stands-       Box blinds, we have 'em, but I prefer to walk when I can.  For enjoyment I like to walk, but when its time to put meat in the freezer and the trip's comin to a close, there's favorite stands of mine.

e.private land or hunting club-   Family land, shared between about 15 hunters...
My family has hunted this land since the late 30's... Southwest Texas, 60 miles NW of DelRio... We as a whole Do alot of blind hunting, but my favorite is to get out and walk.  

f. bait or food plots-         Corn and protein feeders, ground is too rocky for crops or food plots...

g.pressure from other hunters-   Pretty heavy... there's people out there most of the time...

h.how many deer are you permitted each year-  Legally 5(no more than 2 bucks), but for management 1 buck and one doe per person. We're surrounded by pay per day leases that shoot everything they see.  So our population is uncharacteristicly low for the area.

i.are doe tags available-  yes

Bow hunted some as a kid, out of trees, but there's not much for trees out there... pretty rare to find a scrub oak more than 15-20 ft tall.

All in all, I know that I'm very blessed to have the hunting opportunities that I do.  There's alot of hunting tradition out there.  Shot my first deer at 8 years old, out of a box blind, with my mom.  I know that if it wasnt for family, I wouldnt be able to enjoy it like I do.
-Davoh

Offline hemlock_vt

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 04:45:33 AM »
central vermont in area thats a mix of farmland (generally smaller fields broken up by woods) and thickly wooded mountains

Average Length of Shot: 20-100 yards. My first deer was shot at 40 in the woods. Even the fields here are small enough and broken up by enough woods that shots over 100 yards are rare (I'm young and don't have much experience but a guy I hunt with who's been hunting the area for 30 years says the longest shot he's ever taken was 100 yards, and that only happened once).

Length of Season: 16 day rifle season, the second half of November, and then a Muzzleloader season from dec 5th-13th.

Do You Hunt the Rut: If the timing is right.

Blind or Tree Stands: Some folks have tree cabins but it's kinda frowned apon by others - we hike around and find naturally occurring rock outcroppings and the like to sit on. The most modification we'll do is to cut some pine boughs and arrange them around a spot for extra concealment.

Private Land or Hunting Club: A mix of private land and national forest. The National forest is mostly mountainous "big woods" stuff with lower deer densities - there are still a lot of farmers and landowners who allow any hunter to use their land, although posted land is becoming more common in recent years.

Bait or Food Plots: Baiting isn't legal, we find them rather than making them come to us.

Pressure from Other Hunters: Varies - there are a lot of hunters in this region and a strong hunting culture, and on weekend days during the season it's possible to have 3 or 4 hunters in a well-known area of woods. But if you don't want to hunt near other people it's also easy to have woods to yourself if you hunt at the right times or are willing to stay clear of the "hotspots".

How Many Deer Permitted Each Year: 3 total - 1 buck during rifle, 1 buck during muzzleloader, and if you get a doe tag, 1 doe during muzzleloader.

Are Doe Tags Available: Yes, in certain WMU's.

mix of somewhat spacious hardwood forest, denser softwood forest, and some areas of hay/corn field with wooded areas breaking it up.
The great thing about where I hunt is that I know I'll never be completely unable to find places to hunt - even if all the friendly landowners with the ideal spots post their land, there's plenty of National Forest to access, it'll just take a bit more dedication and luck to be successful. My father owns a little lot that provides access to a woodlot owned by a hunter-friendly lumber co, and from that woodlot I can access the national forest.

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 05:32:27 PM »
Wyoming, mountainous, high meadows, heavy pine and mixed forests. Stalk hunt public land, prefer morning hunts, as gutting a deer when the sun is setting scares me a bit, with wolves and griz in the area.
Prefer areas with early season any sex, general tag. I'm a meat hunter. Prefer to gut and skin right there, cut off legs and into a game bag, then quarter at the truck and into ice, as the weather is still usually kinda warm. Though 2 opening days, Sept 15 in the past 3 years, it snowed/sleeted in my favorite area. Average shot distance 75-100yds. I use a 2 wheeled game hauler when I need to, and sometimes I have to quarter it and pack it out to the truck, but not often, as usually I can find a 2track going near the kill site. Only 1 tag a season, unless I put in for a limited reduced price hunt, which is a lottery. I ususally don't draw an extra tag. Almost no pressure from other hunters. There's alot of public land here. Season is 3 weeks in my favorite area. The seasons vary, depending on what area you go to. There's a gazillion areas available from Sept 15- Late Nov for a general tag/resident.