Author Topic: 180 grain cast and Unique  (Read 499 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
180 grain cast and Unique
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:25:21 AM »
I have a bunch of 180 grain cast FPBB bullets coming for my 357 mag. I only use Lil Gun and Unique powders. I'm going to try some of them over 14 grains of Lil Gun but if Lil Gun powder is too hot for a BB bullet I want to work up a stiff load with Unique. I found load data for a 180 jacketed with 7.0 grains but the closest I can get with my Lee dippers is 7.2 and 7.6 grains. With the drag being less with a cast bullet would the .2 and .6 grains overage cause me any pressure problems in my Blackhawk and Contender ? Thanks.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 180 grain cast and Unique
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »
kynardsj

You are going to hear this again -- Get a scale --  ;) Their cheap insurance !!!!!!

As for the Unique load , yes the .2 & .6 may be too much , its hard to say , as every gun has its own Max load . The fact that you are using a cast bullet with a Jacketed data will help some though .

As for the Lil Gun , it should not cause a problem with the BB style of bullet , I use H110 with them and have not had any leading issues .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:34:35 AM »
I have a small electronic scale that I check the actual weights from the Lee dippers. I also found some more load data that had 6 grains of Unique behind a 200 grain cast for 1105 fps. Really need to break down and buy a powder throw, and a Chrony, and some molds, and some gas checks, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully they'll shoot fine with the Lil Gun. Thanks.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »
5.0-5.5 grains of Unique with heavy bullet in 357 works good, mild recoil and accurate.  Going hotter in my experience produces leading in some guns with some bullets.  Only experimentation in your gun with your bullet will let you know if hotter is better.  I stay with my 5.0-5.5 grain load for plinkers that I can use in all of my 357s.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Be careful with the dippers, especially with the pistol powders.  You must have a scale to safely use the dippers.  I have taken to making my own from a casing, and solder a wire handle on.  Then use the case trimmer to cut it down to hold the correct charge.  Mark each one very carefully.  When you change powder lots, recheck. 

For some powders, Bullseye being one, I would not use a dipper at all. 
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
Be careful with the dippers, especially with the pistol powders.  You must have a scale to safely use the dippers.  I have taken to making my own from a casing, and solder a wire handle on.  Then use the case trimmer to cut it down to hold the correct charge.  Mark each one very carefully.  When you change powder lots, recheck. 

For some powders, Bullseye being one, I would not use a dipper at all.  

I look at it just the other way , powders like Bullseye are much better suited for dipper use , due to the fact that they fill the dipper so well , it does not leave air gaps between the granuals of powder like say the 4895's and such .

There for giving a more consistent charge dipper to dipper , still all dipper charges need to be checked with a scale to insure that the charge is in the safe range .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »
I check the amounts from the dippers with the electronic scales I mentioned earlier. That's where the 7.2 and 7.6 came from. Thanks.