Author Topic: What kind of daypack do you guys favor?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline tominboise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What kind of daypack do you guys favor?
« on: August 22, 2003, 06:06:54 PM »
I am trying to decide on a day pack for deer & elk hunting.  I have been using a fanny pack for the last 10 years, but am getting tired of it pulling my pants down and not fitting under my coat.  I also want a little more capacity to carry my coat when I shed it, etc.  I ordered an assault pack from cabelas, but it doesn't seem quite right to me, and it was $70.   I am thinking of a cheap "jansport" or similar from the used sporting goods store, but am not sure if that will do it or not.  

What do those of you who use a day pack, use?  The intended game is mule deer and elk in Idaho and Montana, so lots of walking, and the requirement to pack a certain amount of survival gear.

TIA,
Regards,

Tom

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 06:51:42 PM »
Mine is a big Cabela's model. Camo fleece with leather bottom. Water proof (well more or less). Pocket on back and one on each side. Has the Buddy Loc system or whatever the proper name is to attach things at various points on it. Has a built in buckle across chest to keep the two straps together rather than slipping off your shoulders as they often do. Waist belt to take the load off your back. Top notch pack. About $70 or so I'd guess.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DB Leath

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 08:58:36 PM »
Greybeard did ya get the same one as me?  I have one just like it...love it
SASS #49681
SBSS #1201
Ya have to back your brothers play

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 02:07:40 AM »
Same as the last 2 fellows, and when I first got to using a back pack for the first time kind of felt over dressed if you know what I am saying I had a Eddie Bower fanny pack b-4 then and it was a incredible jump in storage I thought I was going to have to go shopping for some new things to put in it, well its almost full now, :D    JIM

Offline chrisk63

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 04:58:51 AM »
i use the same pack from cabela`s,i think they call it the white tail extreme it also had places for straps on the leather bottom to attach
 extra gear, heavy coat etc.
 my only complaint is if you need to get a shot off while wearing the pack the buddy loc gizmo`s are right were the rifle butt sits
other than that i love it,most of my gear is from cabela`s, all their stuff is top quality

chris

Offline matt d

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 10:50:07 AM »
I use a fanny pack right now but I am tired of it.  I didn't want to get a backpack because I didn't think I could carry my rifle on my shoulder.  Do you guys sling your rifle over your shoulder with your pack on?
Don't say whoa in a bad place

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 11:59:34 AM »
I use that Cabela's Deluxe Whitetail™ Day Pack  when I am going a long ways from camp or vehicle or whenever weather is expected.  I also used it as my carry-on when I flew to South Africa last year (me and about 100 other guys on the plane)

For short hunts I use Ultimate Pack Vest™

I  just wish they made that vest in camo and/or eco-friendly colors.

Offline matt d

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 12:28:13 PM »
cknight,
great, I'll check out one those sheep mountain packs, I like the price too.
thanks
Don't say whoa in a bad place

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2003, 08:59:26 PM »
I use Eddie Bauer shoulder bags, and I have a different one for each type of hunting that I do (muzzle loader, modern rifle, pistol, and archery).  I used to use mil surp back packs, but I had the nasty habit of filling them.  Using a small pack forces me to pare down my equipment to what I really need.  Any excess clothes that come off as the day heats up get draped over the pack and hang behind me and I hunt.  It doesn't interfere with slinging a rifle or covering rough terrain.  All of my hunting is done is areas that are completely closed to motor vehicles, so I place a high premium on keeping things light.  When I hunt elk, I bring a pack frame with no back pack, for carrying out quarters, and I tie a shoulder pack to it.  Along with the gear that hangs from my belt and fills some of the pockets of my BDUs, the shoulder pack carries plenty.  On longer hunts, I use a Kelty external frame long pack, but I keep the weight under 50 pounds, no matter what.  That includes my gun and the clothes that I'm wearing.
NRA life member

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
Day Pack
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 02:16:50 PM »
:grin:
I've used the surplus US WWII canvas backpack for 20 years. These are small, inexpensive, durable and quiet in the woods. This is the small frameless backpack that is worn high on the back between the shoulder blades. I carry lunch, snacks, deer hauler rope, knife, compass and some emergency/survival provisions in it. You can also easily sling the rifle while wearing this pack.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2003, 01:43:23 PM »
I feel way out of my league with you guys. I use a surplus Butt pack on a pistol belt with a set of load bearing suspenders. Total cost less than $20.00 The only modification that has really been made is adding a set of quick release plastic buckles to the packs cinch strap. Cheap, durable, adequate storage space, easily replaced and made by the lowest bidder.

Frog
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES