Author Topic: Help with a Winchester Bolt.  (Read 689 times)

Offline old coach

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Help with a Winchester Bolt.
« on: December 17, 2009, 03:22:23 PM »
I found a Win mod 70 in 30-06 that is missing the bolt.
Price --$250 with a Redfield scope.
Blue bbl and wood stock
How hard will it be to find a bolt and have if fitted to this rifle?
I think it was made in 1974 if that helps.

THANKS
Coach

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Help with a Winchester Bolt.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:05:29 AM »
Numrich has them.

They are sold out of complete bolts, but have stripped bolts and most of (if not all) the parts to assemble one.

Additionally, although the replacement bolt is made close enough to install into the rifle OK, you WILL need to have the rifle's headspace checked/corrected and probably the trigger adjusted.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=7488

Unless you can do the work yourself and find a standard .30-06 length/boltface bolt somewhere very cheap, by the time you're done, that rifle will have cost you as much or more than if you had bought a complete rifle in the first place.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Tonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Help with a Winchester Bolt.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »
Old Coach, that bolt will cost you in the area of $100 bucks, if YOU can find one of them. I would not spend the money or time on a 74 model Winchester, which no doubt is NOT a pre-64 action. Meaning it is a Push-Fed type action. One of those XTR Rifles (Winchester Junk at that time) I believe and they just don't take home the prize. The XTR is not half the rifle as the Winchester pre-64 action rifles or "CLASSICS"

Same your money and find a "Classic" model Winchester or one with a pre-64 action ok. Then you have the real DEAL coach..........The Rifleman's Rifle, simply put. If you can not find a model 70 Winchester pre-64, then you can go to the Ruger model 77 and get almost the same type rifle. It will have a 3-Position Safety, Big Claw Extractor and Control Round Fed Magazine.......it does not get any better than that on a rifle.

Now if you are short of money, SAVAGE makes a very good rifle and their triggers are tops for accuracy.
Good Luck!