Author Topic: Winchester Model 670?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Feddog82

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Winchester Model 670?
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:29:22 AM »
I have a Winchester Model 670 bolt action .30-06 that I have "inheretid" and I have a couple of questions that I hope some one can help me with.

First off the person that I got it from had nothing really to do with me and I did not know them well. The just gave it to me. So I know nothing about this particular rifle itself and it has no sentimental value to me. However it is in pretty good shape and there are things that I like about it A LOT!

So what I like is that it came to me wearing a gorgeous blonde stock which from my research is kind of rare or not normal. Also it does not seem to be refinished. The second thing that I like is that the trigger feels SUPER nice.

Now the thing that I don't like is that someone removed the bluing from the barrel, just the barrel, and this has caused some pitting. The bore is like new even though the outside of the barrel is pitted and shows NO rust. I thought of rebluing but I don't really feel like doing the work for something that I'm not going to use.

SO.... what I really want to find out is if this rifle's parts are all interchangable with a model 70? I would like to find a .25-06 barrel to put on this rifle or perhaps some other interesting caliber. I have 3 .30-06 rifles now without this one and I would rather make it into some thing that I like than sell it and buy something different. I don't want to ream the bore bigger either since I already have a .300 win mag and a .35 whelen. Guess I could go .338-06 but I'm not that interested. My long action caliber choices would be .25-06, 6.5-06, or .264 win mag but I don't know if the last is possible using the same bolt.. Can't shrink the bore so I guess that means NEW BARREL TIME.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Winchester Model 670?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:37:43 AM »
The model 670 and the model 70 post 64 are the same gun.
The 670 just has cheaper wood and does not have the hinged floor plate.
That is the only differences I know of.
It should not be a problem to swap barrels from one to the other.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:10:26 AM »
The model 670 and the model 70 post 64 are the same gun.
The 670 just has cheaper wood and does not have the hinged floor plate.
That is the only differences I know of.
It should not be a problem to swap barrels from one to the other.

LONGTOM

Right.  And some of those 670's were sold with blondish colored stocks that had some of the ugliest impressed checkering ever.  There was even, for a time, a sort of dressed up version with darker wood called the 770. For all the hoopla about the post-64 M70's of that era, the working parts--trigger, pushfeed action, and barrel were pretty much OK, but Winchester out-uglied themselves with the stocks they put on those actions back then. 

Offline tjrod

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:24:44 AM »
I picked one up from an old timer a while back. It is in 270, super accurate with any ammo I load or factory. Rifle, leather sling, hard case, soft case, weaver scope and five boxes of ammo for 200 bucks. I don't think he shot it very much it looked so new so I bought it. Mine has the darker stock, I can't say it is ugly because it shoots too nice.

Offline kshock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
My brother shoots a 270 Model 670 that he has owned since the 70's. I don't know about others, but his is definately not the Model 70. The most obvious difference is the safety, slide two position verses the Model 70's 3 position swing safety. I don't think he has a hinged floorplate (it has a blind magazine) and I was always under the impression that it was not the Model 70 action. That aside, it is a tack driver and one of the most accurate rifles that I have seen that was not full custom.

Offline tjrod

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:08 PM »
Forgot to mention, mine was converted to the three position safety.  Very accurate.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »
kshock:

You are correct in stating that your brothers has a slide 2 position safety.
I had forgotten about that but rest assured that the 670 is just an economy version of the model 70 action.
Same action and barrel with no floor plate, cheaper wood and the cheaper bolt that did not have the safety built in.
I had to go and dig mine out of the safe and take another look at it to be sure.
Been to long and sometimes we do forget.

Thanks
LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 03:06:03 AM »
A few weeks ago I was talking to my gunsmith friend about this thread and the Model 670.  He mentioned that there is, or was, a conversion kit that was available (perhaps through Brownell's or some other supplier) that would upgrade this model to have M70 features.  We didn't go into much detail during that discussion as to which features, but the magazine was one of the subjects.  Didn't mention the safety.  These are basically Model 70's stripped down, and, at least at one point, there were kits to upgrade them available, for the price of some parts and some gunsmithing.