Author Topic: Need some hunting load data for .357 magnum using 170gr keith style bullet!!  (Read 2073 times)

Offline UAD7116

• Trade Count: (8)
I need some load data using the 170gr cast keith style bullets and 180gr and 200gr cast as well.  I cant find much load data for pushing heavy weight cast bullets for hunting purposes.  I currently have a few 170gr cast keith style bullets a fellow reloader gave me he didnt have much load data for some full house hunting loads, he only uses them for cuasal shooting, and all my reloading manuals only have load info for jacketed bullets so any help would be great.  I currently have win 296 and Lil Gun as powders.  Thanks Kris
Always look out for number 1 and don't step in number 2!!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Kris

In most cases you can use the jacketed data for the cast bullets with out a pressure problem , if you can't find cast data , I have found that 2400 does a great job with the heavy weight cast bullets in 357 mag .

Hope this helps .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline blpenn66502

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
The latest Lyman cast reloading manual shows 15.2 (min and max) of 296 w/CCI 550 primer for their 168gr SWC (PB) @ 1.553 OAL.  Lyman's regular 49th edition shows data for a 204gr cast, but that is only for the contender as the OAL exceeds the standard max length by .290"

To parrot what Stimpy said you can usually use jacketed data and Hodgdon has data for both in 170 and 180 gr jacketed for pistol loads: 

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Brian

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
With the Lyman 358429 (173 grains), I have had very good accuracy with AL-8 (difficult to find anynore), H-110, and Lil' Gun...BCB

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
I loaded that same bullet over 16.4 grains of Lil Gun with mixed results. It's the most accurate bullet and load I've put in my 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk. On the other hand my 10 inch Contender didn't like it.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline UAD7116

Thanks for the input, but I have one more question do I have to use gas checks on these cast style bullets, the one my friend gave me doesn't have any?  Also if I puchase some how do you install them- do I need any special tools?  sorry for these questions but having a hard time finding and tranlating info.  Thanks Kris

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
The ones I loaded didn't have GC's. A bullet has to be designed for a gas check before you put them on. I had ask this question before myself. Can't just crimp one on a cast bullet. The bullet you're using will weigh from 168 grains to 173 grains depending on the alloy. Maybe this will help in researching a load.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
I have some left over I've not even size/lubed yet that were cast too many years ago to even remember. They are obviously from the really hard allow we were using back then as they weight right at 158 grains which is super light for the real Keith bullet. My mould is a four cavity Lyman given me a great many years ago by a friend who's likely been dead now for over 20 years.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
Kris,

Your Keith bullet is made to be loaded and shot with a plain base, that is without a gas check.
I use Alliant 2400 powder. With this bullet in my 357 magnum Blackhawk a charge of 13.5 grains is good for about 1300 ft/sec.
Can't help with the other powders. The Lyman manual has load info for 296. You might find data for Li'l Gun at Hodgdons web site.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
Loading anything heavier than 158s in the 357 magnum can lead to problems that no one has mentioned yet.  What gun?  and what bullet? 

Some of the 170 KT bullets have a longer nose and won't fit in the cylinder in some revolvers if crimped in the crimp groove.  You can seat them deeper and crimp over the first driving band, but then you are loosing case capacity.

I have a 200 gr KT bullet that looks exactly the same as the 158 when loaded in a 357 case.  Lots less case capacity, but works good even in standard length 357 cylinders. 

If you have the Lyman 170 KT plain base bullet you can use the Lyman loads, the Nosler 180 grain loads, and the Winchester or Hodgdon loads for WW296/H110 powder.  BUT, you want to make sure this bullet, when loaded, will fit in your gun.  It fits fine in my Ruger and T/C.  It will not fit into the cylinder in my S&W.  You will also want to have a good lube and be careful how fast you push these.  It doesn't take too hot of a powder/load for them to start leading if you have a soft bullet or poor lube. 

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline UAD7116

The gun is a S&W 686, and for the exact model of bullet I'll have to find out, all I know is it weights 170gr, it's lubed, made of lead, and has the 3 driving bands.  I am aware of the issues about the OAL with some of the heavier bullets, and I am going to defitnitly keep that in mind when I load these.  Thanks alot for everyones help, if there is anymore things I should know please chime in I'm all ears.  Kris

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
The latest lyman manual shows 2400 up to 13.5 grains with that bullet. I don't try to stoke mine that hot. I have that particular mold in a hollow point that weighs 165 gr, and have shot a lot of Blue Dot also 8-9 grains.
remember the starfish

Offline hbar2989

+1 on the blue dot. I'm loading 10.5 gr behind a 180gr rem hp. great groups. I just have try to kill something this weekend with it. Oh ya, this is in a 6" gp100.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
I've gotten good load info from e-mailing the powder manufacturer.  I've done this with Bullseye & Accurate.

GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
I have switched to LilGun for all my 357 loads, 158 and heavier.  Go to Hodgdon's web site and get the load there.  I used to use h-110 but find LilGun seems a better powder for 357.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
I need some load data using the 170gr cast keith style bullets and 180gr and 200gr cast as well.  I cant find much load data for pushing heavy weight cast bullets for hunting purposes.  I currently have a few 170gr cast keith style bullets a fellow reloader gave me he didnt have much load data for some full house hunting loads, he only uses them for cuasal shooting, and all my reloading manuals only have load info for jacketed bullets so any help would be great.  I currently have win 296 and Lil Gun as powders.  Thanks Kris

Lyman's 48th Edition

170 grain cast
Maximun loadings
Blue Dot 10 grains 1592 fps
AA#9     13          1666
2400      13.5       1677
N110      13.7       1684
H110      14.4       1704
IMR4227 14.5       1509
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline UAD7116

Thanks everyone for all the help I greatly appreciate it.  Kris