Author Topic: Making a 20ga H&R slug gun  (Read 996 times)

Offline gary bartlow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilbucksndux
Making a 20ga H&R slug gun
« on: December 05, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »
I briefly ran thru the FAQ's and didn't find anything. I have a 20 ga.H&R Topper an am thinking about turning it into a slug gun. I know the 20 can be tapped for a scope mount my question is. Would you recommend getting the barrel threaded for a rifled choke tube or just cut the barrel down ? I have never shot slugs thru it so i dont know how it shoots thru the factory MOD choke.

Thanks
God created man,Sam Colt made them equal.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Re: Making a 20ga H&R slug gun
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:17:40 AM »
It will be far less trouble and worth it to get a Tracker II or USH barrel. But it depends if you plan on shooting saboted slugs or Buckhammers. If you are shooting the regular rifled slugs my modified barrel shot them preety good after I had the barrell drilled and tapped. In my opinion the regular rifled slugs in 20 gauge excepting the Brennekes and the Dixie offering are kind of mild. The Remington Sluggers are just a shell of lead 5/8ths of an ounce with Winchester's offering a bit better at 3/4ths of an ounce.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline gary bartlow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilbucksndux
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:30:52 AM »
I already have a USH gun and I think my gun is to old for a Tracker II but i don't know.
God created man,Sam Colt made them equal.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
H&R will fit barrels to frames made 1987 and later, build year list is in the FAQs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
I suggest you just try some cheap Remington 2 3/4" sluggers through your barrel at 50 yards. You may be amazed at how well it shoots as it is. Remember, "aim small, miss small", just because it's a shotgun take no shortcuts in aiming with the bead as it is. Try it and let us know. It is entirely possible you will be getting 3" groups at 50 yards as it is with just the bead....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:58:41 AM »
Do you want a project or a meat gun? As MSP Ret said you can probably get sufficent accuracy for a 50yard shot with just the bead and a little practice. If what you really want is a project chop it to 20" and have it threaded for choke tubes and then pick your sighting system. Have fun and post pics of your project.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »
I can shoot 4" groups at 50 yards with my 20 gauge Pardner using the bead sight and el cheapo Remington Sluggers. This is with the factory screw in MOD choke. I use this gun for a bad weather deer gun.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 12:55:07 PM »
  Yep...try it before you start modifying..you may be surprised..  Back in the days when all slug guns were simple smoothbores with bead sights, some threw surprisingly good  groups!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »
Like MSP ret said I get very close to 3" groups at 50 yds with my pardner youth 22" using 2 3/4 sluggers.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »
I agree try it first with cheap Rem sluggers. Mine is full choke and does just fine out to 75 yds! But get it drilled and tapped for scope, easy enough for the gunsmith to do for ya.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us