Author Topic: 44 Mag Encore Rifle, Gold Dot or Sierra?  (Read 444 times)

Offline iunderpressure

• Trade Count: (1)
44 Mag Encore Rifle, Gold Dot or Sierra?
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:33:29 AM »
In a 18-20" MGM 44 mag barrel with a 1 in 20" twist, does anyone have experience using Sierra's 240 gr JHC, Gold Dot 240 gr JHP, or their JSP?  Just wondering how well they shot, and how well they perform on deer.

Thanks, Kyle

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: 44 Mag Encore Rifle, Gold Dot or Sierra?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:37:15 AM »
Both are good bullets but IMHO soft points are better for hunting. 

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:45:23 AM »
The most accurate bullet I have found outta my M629  is Hornady's 240 grain XTP. Next was Nosler's 240 grainers both in JHP and JSP. Both are less monies than Sierra's or Speer's.....altho I have had good luck with the Speer 240 Uni-cores.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline iunderpressure

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 05:14:29 AM »
Has anyone used the nosler jsp's. They look to be a little on the soft side.  I'm going to be pushing them between 1700-1800 fps.  I want something that will stay together pretty well without a lot of weight lose.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:17:18 AM »
Has anyone used the nosler jsp's. They look to be a little on the soft side.  I'm going to be pushing them between 1700-1800 fps.  I want something that will stay together pretty well without a lot of weight lose.

The most accurate bullet I have found outta my M629  is Hornady's 240 grain XTP. Next was Nosler's 240 grainers both in JHP and JSP.

IMHO.....Very little difference in tip hardness from the Speer Unicore JSPs. Doubt very much if they're too soft for the velocities you mention.

Offline iunderpressure

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 06:40:56 AM »
Do you think the gold dot soft points would hold together or retain weight better than the other soft points?

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 07:49:24 AM »
Do you think the gold dot soft points would hold together or retain weight better than the other soft points?

The Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady mentioned are all quality hunting bullets that are made for reliable terminal performance at .44 mag velocities. Your velocities are not outside of that envelope. The minuscule difference in expansion from one to the other is moot when compared to which one shoots the best outta your gun. I have shot all of the mentioned bullets thru my 629. They all shot well, but my experience has been that I get the best accuracy  from the Hornadys and the Noslers. My practice/range bullets are the same as my hunting bullet, so it helps they are also considerably cheaper for me when bought in bulk than some of the others. I am also confident that on deer sized game, if I do my job, they will also. You experience may vary, and I suggest you too try them all before you commit yourself. 'ell, that's half the fun of reloading.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 02:37:25 AM »
Personally I do not like HP bullets for hunting big game.

I have used the Sierra, Speer and Hornady SP's for many years with very good results.

A couple of my favorites are the SPEER 44cal 270gr bullet!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.