Author Topic: Shorten a Tracker 2? <edit> How to crown the barrel?  (Read 559 times)

Offline retrosub

• Trade Count: (4)
Shorten a Tracker 2? <edit> How to crown the barrel?
« on: December 04, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »
I have a Tracker 2 barrel that has a scope rail, and so I have no intention of using the iron sights. I'm thinking of cutting the barrel to 18 1/2". Why? I guess why not. Most everything I've read says that the extra barrel length doesn't help accuracy and shorter = handier. Now if I cut the barrel, I'd like to remove the rear sight. How is it affixed to the barrel?

Is this just a dumb idea and should I leave well enough alone? Does anyone else here have a rifled barrel cut to 18 1/2", and if so, what do you like or not like about it?

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Re: Shorten a Tracker 2?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
My Ush has the normal 24 inch barrel and it is very accurate and really not all that long as to actual overall length. However with Remington Buckhammers recoil is certainly noticable, I would think that with the lighter Tracker II barrel it is already up there. But I am a great apreciator of short barrels having cut my 44 mag barrel to 17.5 inches and yes it is very handy.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:01:54 AM »
The sight is probably soldered on. Look at and see if there is a screw in it. If not... it's soldered. You are going to lose velocity with the shorter barrel and that's half the reason for shooting the sabot slugs ain't it. If you don't mind losing a little it would make for a handy little woods gun. I cut all my Pardners down to 20" and I love the way they carry. If you shoot heavy slug loads out of it it's going to kick you pretty good.

Spanky

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:04:41 AM »
If it is soldered on, I'll buy that elevation screw and spring if you trash the rear sight.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:47:52 AM »
I have a 18" hastings barrel for an 870 that consistently produced 2-3" 100 yard goups. It was my deer gun before I started using various H&Rs. It definitely sold me on cantilever barrels for pumps and autos. I missed a good buck after my cheap saddle mount moved. Hack that barrel! Post your results w/pics and have fun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline retrosub

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Shorten a Tracker 2? <edit> How to crown the barrel?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
I'm going to cut the barrel tonight. Is there an easy way to crown the barrel with regular shop tools? Can I just chamfer the inside with a dremmel tool?

Wreckhog, PM me your address and I'll send you the elevation screw and rear sight.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »
See the FAQs, a good tubing cutter works on shotgun barrels, a hacksaw on rifle barrels.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 03:00:56 PM »
I generally use a round stone ball in a cordless drill turned slowly and lubed with transmission fluid. This after I true the end of the barrel with a file and then sand paper to make it really smooth. You would have to get at least a 5/8th or 9/16ths stone ball. A dremel would turn too fast.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.