Author Topic: Polishing lead bullets  (Read 1131 times)

Offline hunter280man

• Trade Count: (0)
Polishing lead bullets
« on: November 02, 2003, 10:53:33 AM »
Anyone here polish bullets?  I make all lead muzzleloader bullets and would like to make them a smidge brighter looking.  

I have a large rolling tumbler but have only the red walnut shells for media.  I tried it once and it does clean...too good, and the red dust stays in the hp's.

I've seen the greenish corn cob media but thought it was a bit pricey and wasn't sure if it would work.  After spending 5 hours or so with a terry towel today I'm certain it was a great deal at any price!

Any suggestion or places to look?
The older I get the better I was!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Polishing lead bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 11:34:01 AM »
Hunter, cob media won't polish lead. Only freshly cast or swaged lead is shinny. Then it oxidizes, sometimes fast, sometimes slowly depending on the type of chemical vapors in the air (and the air itself). Really old lead bullets have a thick white powder (lead oxide... lead rust as it were). I suspect the best you can hope for is for someone to let us know what kind of dressing to put on lead bullets without itself causing tarnish. I know of none. 8)

Offline hunter280man

Polishing lead bullets
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 12:56:17 PM »
Well I was hoping...thanks Talon :?

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Polishing lead bullets
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 05:25:54 PM »
Hello hunter280man,

If I keep a small amount of Lanolin (Anhydrous) on my lead cores they don’t start turning, you might try some Lanolin.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Daveinthebush

Isn't
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 06:09:26 PM »
Isn't there a little health hazzard here with polishing bullets.  I have a friend that is a printer and he wears gloves just so that he won't contact the lead based ink.

I would thing that the inhaliation of the dust would not be good for you at all.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Polishing lead bullets
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 07:07:32 PM »
:D

Unlike lead based ink that can be absorbed into the skin, polishing lead bullets don’t produce any lead dust, at less the way I use to polishing bullets. But good thinking about possible health hazards.

when you polish up the lead with the Lanolin (Anhydrous) they don't shine up they just don't dull any more or form that white powder (lead oxide) on them.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline hunter280man

Polishing lead bullets
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 01:42:35 AM »
Well I've been messin with the 1/2% antomony wire from Star ammo and noticed how much brighter it was (due to antomony no doubt) and they just wiped up like the lone ranger was in town.   But my pure lead has alot of stain lines and could use some touch up without having to spend a day on a hundred or so.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/068307.jpg

Lets see if this works.....?    :?

A few fellas over at my muzzie sight affectionately nicknamed these the "Lil-keggers"  or  "flying root beer barrels".   The tip has been worked several times to soften it up while the body is still harder to keep together.   Just another experiment.   :roll:

Anyone have a set of .451 lead dies to sell?