Author Topic: Leupold V11 or Weaver grand slam?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Doghunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold V11 or Weaver grand slam?
« on: October 21, 2003, 04:32:24 PM »
I just ordered a t-3 243. what scope would you put on .Got same price for both.  3x9x40 leupold vii   3x10x40 weaver ??? :-)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 06:22:23 PM »
Uh well, actually neither. I'd put a Bushnell Elite on it. IF that is the price range you are looking at then the Elite 3200 3-9.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 12:51:13 AM »
I would take the Weaver Grand Slam.  I personally think they are equivalent to a Vari-X III or even slightly better.  They have excellent optics and are very accurate.  Outstanding scope.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline wildman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 01:21:22 AM »
I've been a Leupold man for a while, but recently got a great deal on a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9.  The optics appear more clear and crisp than the Leupold VX II line of scopes.  Needless to say, I wouldn't be afraid to get any of the Bushnell Elite scopes, but I can't say as to whether their lower line models are worth having or not.  If you are like I was, go to the store and at least look through an Elite before buying anything. :wink:
The intruder turns around slowly, sees both barrels, and hears a low-deep voice say "Son, the left one's iron and the right one's steel, if the left one don't get you, the right one will"

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 08:27:10 AM »
I have a Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5 on a .450 Marlin and have put it through hell during a couple of Alaska moose seasons without any problems.   I believe the Weaver is noticably brighter than an older Vari-X II I have.  It doesn't appear to be as bright as a Vari-X III I also have, though not by very much.  I mainly see the difference between it and the Vari-X III in very low light and out towards the edges of the view.  I have never had to have a Weaver repaired so can't comment on customer service issues.

Offline Rusty

Scope Purchase
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 04:01:01 AM »
It depends on your rifle caliber, and how you handle recoil, are you a neck craner, and do you creep up the stock.  For rifle calibers 30-06 and below (recoil energy wise), I would go with the Grand Slam (better optics, less eye relief), for anything boomier than a 30-06, get the Leupold.  The Leupolds don't always have the best glass, but they have great eye relief and they are tough too. 8)

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 05:17:52 AM »
I gotta agree with Rusty.  If you're not paying attention and you creep up the stock of my .450M with the Weaver it will wack you pretty good!  I probably have the scars on the bridge of my nose to prove it!  The Leupold's are much more forgiving with their longer eye relief.

Offline kc5rkg

Weaver
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 05:46:50 AM »
Between the two you mentioned, I would also pick the Weaver.  I have that exact scope (Grandslam 3-10x40) on my 30-06 and it is outstanding.  I am able to shoot sub inch groups at 100 yds.  The brightness and clarity are very good.   As graybeard said, I would also look at the Elite 3200, I've heard many people who are extremely happy with them.