Author Topic: Hunting with Cowboy loads  (Read 544 times)

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
Hunting with Cowboy loads
« on: December 18, 2009, 06:30:13 AM »
Have a Handi in 45-70 that I would like to setup for close range Bad weather deer hunting. Will use open sights and keep shots 75yds or less. I have had A few days ruined by rain or wet snow on my scope lens.
Do any of you have experience with factory 405gr LNFP Cowboy loads. Like Blackhills or Ultramax?

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Hunting with Cowboy loads
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »
I wouldn't give up on the 325 grain FTX you used on that buck you posted in a different thread. That was a bad shot- NO bullet would have killed that deer shot in the brisket. I shot two deer this year with the FTX out of my encore muzzleloader (approx. 2000 fps) 1 ran about 40 yards, other one dropped in his tracks, both were double lung hits. The 325 grain bullet is about as much recoil as I would like out of a light break open rifle, that 405 must rock you pretty good, or are cowboy loads lighter?

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »
I have shot both Blackhills and Ultramax Cowboy loads in my Roller. They are more than accurate enough for the job. My only concern would be terminal performance. Seems like I recall the bullets being a bit on the hard side... good for targets... maybe not so good for taking game.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 03:29:33 AM »
The Deer I shot this year was with my 450m. No I will not give up on the FTX for it. I bought a 45-70 barrel and a Handi to use when the weather gets bad. Knowing what I know now(thanks GBO) I would not even have bought the 450. The recoil from my Prohunter is not that bad shooting the 450.
The CB loads I have seen are 1100-1250 fps with a LNFP.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 03:49:48 AM »
A 45 cal 400 grain lead FP bullet at 1200fps will shoot thru, and kill any deer standing.  Isn't this pretty much the same load that killed off the Buffalo, and thousands of Grizz bears back in the good old days?  Most handgun hunters consider a 300 grain, lead FP 45 cal bullet (100 grains less) out of a revolver at 1200 fps to be enough for most any large north american game at reasonable range.  That said, I would use a 300 grain HP on deer - the bullet expansion might drop a lightly constructed whitetail a little quicker, with about the same low recoil as the 400 grain CB load.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....