Author Topic: SWFA SS Scope?  (Read 540 times)

Offline JON8777

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
SWFA SS Scope?
« on: December 18, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
Anyone shoot a SWFA Super Sniper Scope? Any good?

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: SWFA SS Scope?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:04:40 AM »
One of the best deals on the market today.  You can get the older models for about $300 new, and they are probaby the most repeatable and reliable $300 scope on the market.  The new 3-9x and 10x HD offer a mil/mil based scope meaning that now the adjustments are in MRAD as well as the reticle, making adjusting much less complicated.  Haven't looked through the 10x HD yet, but am hearing that the glass is excellent, and on par with scopes much more expensive.

Don't think that you could go wrong on this one.  I almost picked up a 10x HD the other day myself, but ended up going with a US Optics ST-10 (a lot of companies hook active duty military and LEO up, next time you are wanting a scope it doesn't hurt to ask).

Offline JON8777

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 03:00:53 AM »
Is the SS still made by Tasco?

Offline hotrunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:30:19 AM »
I have one, a 20X, purchased 2 years ago. Not sure if it's one of the "good" or the cheaper ones, as it is claimed by some that the quality varies by who manufactured them and when; I've lost track. Frankly, mine's a decent scope, but the glass isn't the greatest. I don't do a lot of adjusting, but it seems to hold zero well, although the clicks sometimes have a "sticky" feel if the turrets aren't used for a while. I have mine on a heavy varmint rifle, but it's probably coming off when I come up with something lighter in weight that works as well. I don't really miss variable power, as it will focus down to 10 meters or so -- the rear focus is nice. All in all, I'd say the repeatability and ruggedness outweigh the so-so glass, @ least on mine. Not bad for 300 hundred bucks, but one could spend another $125 or so and get, say, a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 04:49:39 PM »
The 20x SS is going to have the smallest exit pupil of any of them, hence not looking as bright as the others, especially the 10x.  You can consider that one one of the older models.  The new models are the 3-9x variable, and the 10x HD.  Easisest way to tell the difference if you are a novice is the price, followed by the adjustments, the new ones are in MRAD, while the older models are in MOA.

The SS will more than likely have a much greater chance at being more reliable than a Bushnell or Nikon, although you will need to upgrade to the 10x HD to compete in glass quality.

A good combo of magnification and exit pupil is the 16x.  I owned one, and it was reliable and had decent enough glass to get the job done.

Offline sillasr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »
Used the 10x with side focus year and a half ago for 2 week sniper school and never had a problem with it. Leupolds in the class I looked through had alittle better glass and light gathering but for the price SS will hold up to several stalks, rounds and alot of repeated dope settings. I did get another rifle and went ahead a put alittle more money and got a Bushnell Elite 4200 and it is just as good or better that any Leupold I use and others have. The other sniper on my team purchased a Bushnell like mine with his own funds to go on dept. rifle. You might want to check out Vortex 6-24X50 for $99.00, I bought two the first went on my coyote rifle and it is unbelievable good glass, target turrets and the best is the 50mm AO for low light shooting. So impressed I bought another one because of the price, it boxes great and hold zero.