Author Topic: 2 pt fork horn with a 7 1/2 inch base! pictures  (Read 634 times)

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
2 pt fork horn with a 7 1/2 inch base! pictures
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
I found something interesting,
I went for a hike to shed hunt yesterday after a short trip to the lake, the fish werent biteing.
I went back to a meadow on a game refuge where I knew some sheds were still lingering around from previouse years. 1 more month & I'll be finding fresh ones!
I got lucky yesterday & found a 4-6 year old shed almost unrecognizable other than a 4" base & brow tine.
After that I came across an old 3 year base from a forkie or small 3 pt. I began wondering on the bike trail getting side tracked I started looking for a way to cut back into the meadow, As I found a way through I looked down & 3 feet off the bike trail I found a good portion of a main beam tip sticking out of the pine needles & branches shown below.

Then I noticed the 7 1/2 inch base on this beast!
It is as big around as a beer bottle & twice as long!

The antler was ripped off prematurely because it took allot of the pedistal with it.
U can only see pedical around the edge, under the collar. Its still has a red inner glow on the base & is heavier than normal for being 2 years old, heck, its heavy even for a fresh shed. It was half burried & it just rained heavily so that might explain the heavyness. but the red glow & solid core base?
It is like its fresh!
My friend who works with wildlife biologists says this came off an old deer that has reverted back to being a forkie because he cant produce enough calcium & protien to grow his antlers any larger.
The base stayed the same size but the antler was much smaller than what he was before... points,length, mass.
I just thought he was another big cull buck with bad jeans.
Any body seen this before or know what might have caused the massive base but only two points?