Author Topic: delayed ignition  (Read 480 times)

Offline dud

• Trade Count: (1)
delayed ignition
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:20:38 AM »
i recently loaded some 300 win mag loads with 4895,large primers,165 gr bullets,they shot great until i started getting late ignition.on some shots the trigger breaks and a second latter it goes off.thoughts on this?this has never been a problem with none of my reloads in about 15 cartridges i reload for.

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: delayed ignition
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 01:58:33 AM »
The powder is not really good for the .300 Win mag in my limited experieince with it. I too had hangfires however I did not find this with Reloader 15 powder. Of course slower burning powders worked best. I got good results with both H4350 and Reloader 22.. I don't have a .300 win mag now as it was traded off to clinch a deal some 9 years ago now. One day I will possibly have another if I find the right rifle that is  ;).

Offline dud

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 02:08:47 AM »
i was using reloader 22 but ran out,low on funds,but have 8 lbs 4895.going back to the reloader.do you bsee any problemsa with just blasting the rest away?i hate pulling bullets.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
I don't see a problem blasting away with the remaining loads - keep the rifle pointed down range until the round goes off. I would look at my primers or the powder quality as to the hang fires and not the choice of powder. 4895 is a recommended powder in many cartridges for reduced or mid range loads and IMHO you should not be getting hang fires unless you have a primer or powder contamination or deterioration problem.

Ken

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:53:42 AM »
Hang fires are caused by too low a powder charge.  If you look down the barrel after shooting you will also probably see a lot of powder residue; another sign of low pressure.  Increase the powder charge by a grain or two and the problem will likely go away.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:21:05 AM »
Actually with 4895 I noticed quite a range of pressure variations and on pulling one bullet that just fizzled I found a clump of yellowed partly burnt powder. If it was me I would just pull the rounds.

Edit:- Correct spelling error  :-[

PS.... Oh this was a long time ago but I tried normal CCi 200, Fed 210, WLR and CCI 250. To me H4895 is not worth the hassle in the .300 Win Mag if I need the reduced velocity I break out the 30-08 or .308  ;)

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:22:50 AM »
Are you using a magnum primer?
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
my thoughts exactly. check the load book and see if it requires a magnum primer.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »
I had this problem with standard ignition primers from a company called C__.  (I will let you fill in the blanks.)   Reduced the load and worked up with magnum primers and did fine. 

Don't want to blast a fine company, but I don't use the product any more and don't have the problem any more.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline dud

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »
back to the drawing board.loaded five up with mag primers and all fired just fine. thanx for the replys.still going back to reloader 22.better speed.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
using the standard primers in a magnum sometimes doesn't do much. some cases have so much powder in them that the standard primer kinda gets suffocated, even though it does ignite, only so much powder gets burned because the primer doesnt throw enough flame/heat/ whatever to get the job done.

I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.