Author Topic: Plug Gauges you can afford...  (Read 328 times)

Offline SonnyDaze

• Trade Count: (0)
Plug Gauges you can afford...
« on: December 19, 2009, 07:21:55 AM »
Merry Christmas,
I finally found individual plug gauges. They are about $3 each and the shipping was very quick. So for $30, I have plug gauges for two calibers...finally.
I picked 10 gauges, five each for .44 and .45 calibers, all I need for now.
I bought the "M" or minus tolerance. See enclosed material. They are in .001 increments, which is good enough for my needs. Very nice polish; excellent and I'm highly satisfied. My i.d. calipers are decent for throat measurement if the throats are polished, and I can then get within one mil, but these new gauges are super.
I don't think they are available in 1/2 mil increments, which would be nice.

Carr Lane Mfg. Co., tooling components and toggle clamps          Carr Lane Mfg. Co
314-647-6200 (no dog in this race)
PLUG GAGES by Carr Lane out of St. Louis, Mo.
.001" Increments
For 4-place-decimal gages see:
Plug Gages–.0001" Increments

FEATURES: Durable, precision gage pins for production gaging. Plug Gages are hardened and cold stabilized. They are precision lapped to a 10-microinch surface finish, with ends ground square. Gage diameter is electro-etched on each pin. All gages are 2" long. Applications include checking hole sizes, measuring hole locations, measuring distance between holes, and checking slot sizes.

SIZES: Available from stock in any size from .011" to 1.000" in .001" increments. Specify either P (Plus) or M (Minus) tolerance when ordering. Example: CL-.018M
(.018" pin dia, Minus tolerance)

TOLERANCES: Standard tolerances for these production gages are +.0002/-.0000 (Plus) and +.0000/-.0002 (Minus), known as "Class ZZ". In most applications, GO gages should have a Plus tolerance and NO-GO gages should have a Minus tolerance. This keeps the gage's tolerance within the workpiece's tolerance at all times, and allows for wear of the GO gage.

SPECIALS: Plug Gages are readily available in .0001" increments, as specials. For reference gaging, Plug Gages are also available with "Class X" tolerances, +.00004/-.00000 (Plus) and +.00000/-.00004 (Minus).

MATERIAL: 52100 steel, heat treated Rc 60-62.

Buy yourself a Christmas present, or talk sweetly to your wife.
SonnyDaze

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
Re: Plug Gauges you can afford...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
Carr Lane pins are the best.  The chinese pins are cheap but can't be trusted, that's my experience.
We use Carr Lanes at work (in the 'minus' tolerances)  so I'm lucky - complete set at my disposal!
We have pins in 'tenth' increments too, .0001" - they are Deltronics.  Awesome stuff.