Author Topic: New Scope Help... 2-7x32 ?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline tdn

• Trade Count: (7)
New Scope Help... 2-7x32 ?
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:55:45 AM »
So, was lucky enough to find a great deal on a long time, dream rifle: Ruger M77 International in .308.

Now... I have the exciting task of getting a scope for it.  Looking for something in the 2-7x32 (or 33mm) size, in keeping with the traditional look, size, weight of the handy carbine.
I have a current budget of about $200, I am a bit flexible on it, obviously I would like to keep it under, but also would be up for saving a bit more cash if it would make a huge difference in quality.
Right now I use a Bushnell 3200 (3-9x40)on my regular hunting rifle and love it - holds up to a beating well and is clear in rain/snow etc.

I am looking at these right now:  (would love to get any experience, advice, thoughts on these - or other options)

Bushnell Legend 2-7x32:  $115   Has Raingaurd and fully multicoated
Bushnell 3200 2-7x32      $209   Seems about the same as Legend?
Leupold VX-I   2-7x33     $209   Love the idea of a Leupold, and eye relief but is it as good as the Bushnells for the price?
Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32 $160  If anything like their 40/44 series - sounds great.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot-
tdn

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: New Scope Help... 2-7x32 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:03:09 AM »
Go out and look on ebay.  You can get a Leupold VXII in your price range which is way better than any that you mentioned..

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 04:10:14 AM »
Hi TDN,

I have a couple of Weaver Classic V scopes and I like them very much and will probably buy others.  I wasn't impressed with the Leupold VXI, I had three and sold them...I found that all of them were quite fuzzy at the higher powers ( bought 4x12's).  I thought the first one was just a lemon, got a sweet deal on the other two and found the same thing...so...they are gone. Replaced with a weaver classic V 4x16 and a 3x9 rimfire AO.

I'd seriously try to find a VXII / Vari X II in 2x7 or 3x9 used and in good condition, or, go with the weaver classic V.  I don't have any experience with the others, so maybe someone else can weigh in.

Please let us know what you decide.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:14:52 AM »
Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 I get them on eBay.  Make sure your buying a new one.  Some of the cheapest listing are refurbs.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:30:58 AM »
Yes, Leupold scopes are your best choice.

Don’t buy new, you can find used Leupold VX-II or VX-III in your price range from auction sites and they are guaranteed for life.

I have two Weaver V-series scopes and they are good, but Leupold’s are the only scopes I give any attention.

yooper77

Offline tdn

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »
Thanks for all the info and insight guys!  Keep it coming, if anyone else has any thoughts.

I just came across the Burris Timberline 3-9x32 - it comes in even shorter that the others and is backed by their Forever Warranty.
Thoughts??

I have no experience with Burris either, and tend to lean on the great performance I have had on my Bushnell 3200 - but I am still open to anything.
Thanks Again-

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:37:03 AM »
"If any Nikon Scope is found to have defects in workmanship or materials, Nikon will, at their option, repair or replace it at no charge, even if you are not the original owner.  No time limit applies and no warranty card is required."

For $110.00 shipped to your door you can't go wrong.

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »
Nikon and Burris warranties are not meant to be kept and very often will not be honored. You might get lucky and they fix them but don't bet the farm on it. Leupold will honor theirs 100% of the time.

I like Bushnell scopes but have heard of many warranty issues with them tho so far I've not had a reason to need it. Well I did send them a binocular rangefinder combo that they failed to return and don't reckon they ever will.

I'd go with a Leupold VX-II or Vari-X II 2-7 or their VX-III or Vari-X III 2.5-8 if it were me. I think Mueller now has a 2-7 out that should be considered as well as they also have and honor their life time warranty.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:36:32 AM »
    I'd go with a VX II Leupold.  I own a 2x7 on a 308 lever gun.  The warrentee is the best though I've never used it.  I seen the Nikon 2x7 on a friends gun and it's nice but....  As for refurbished scopes....Refurbished.....enough said ;)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 05:53:14 AM »
If you want the best quality, customer service and warranty, Leupold is the only logical choice here.

You couldn’t run fast enough to give me a Burris, Nikon or Bushnell optic.

yooper77

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 05:58:21 AM »
I use to say the same thing 20 years ago.

Offline gr8fuldoug

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • Camera Land
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 06:43:21 AM »
Have you considered Vortex? They have their Diamondback series which is under $200.00 in a 2-7x35 and they have the Viper 2-7x32 which would be just over $200.00 after their $50.00 mail in rebate
Our pleasure to answer any questions related to Sport Optics, Cameras and Tripods.
Please feel free to reach out to us.
Doug
Camera Land
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 06:23:10 AM »
I like the Leupold VX-II scopes.   I think for the money, they're tough to beat.   I've have trouble with my VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope.   But Leupold has always tried to make it right.   In fact I'm waiting for a "brand new" replacement scope as I type this.   I bought the scope in 03 or 04.   They don't care.   They just try to make it right.   

Leupold's customer service in todays day and age is rare.   I hope they never get away from the way they take care of their customers.   Trust me, I've been REAL frustrated having trouble with my scope.   But they did end up taking care of me.   
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline tdn

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
Thanks for all the insight guys-

Took my Bushnell 3200 deer hunting in the Colorado snow this past weekend and again saw the goodness of it from dawn to dusk.
So... I think I'll be doing some side by side comparisons of the 3200 2-7x32 and the Leupold VX-II  over the next few months to decide.

...I'll definitely let you know what I go with and why.

Thanks

TDN

Offline tdn

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 05:18:06 AM »
Thanks for all the advice earlier, I was able to get set up with a VX-II 2-7x33 and really glad I did. Got it used, very great condition.  The scope is trim and clear and looks awesome atop the Ruger International.

But, was taking a look into the new Redfields that are coming out soon, and if I am ever looking for another low profile scope, their American made 2-7x33 looks like a sweet deal as well.

Thanks again-

tdn