Author Topic: Cost of ammo  (Read 444 times)

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Cost of ammo
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:30:38 PM »
I went out this morning and sighted in my wife's rifle in preparation for the family hunt next week.  I thought it would be a ten minute session but I had a little problem getting the bullets to go to the center of the target, and it took a few more bullets than I thought.  I had some Federal premiums .270 from way back, last sighted in in '06, don't remember when I bought them but the price I paid at Academy at the time was $12.99.  I was almost at the end of one box and looked to see that the other box was a different bullet type.  Turns out that box would not group well at all.  I figured that to save time I would go to Academy and buy the right kind.  Dang near swallowed my teeth when I saw the price: $34.99.  The decision to go home and reload was easy.  I lucked out and my first load grouped well.  Academy was out of many of the calibers, and the selection in the rest was pretty thin.  Doesn't it feel good to be able to make your own?

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Cost of ammo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »
    It sure does. I haven't had to buy any ammo in years.
                      bobg

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
Wait untill you buy more bullets, powder and primers. You will get another round of sticker shock.  >:(

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »
Sticker shock comes when you buy a box of "new" bullets from someone for $30, they ship them in the mail, and your $35 box of bullets still has the sticker from the store, $12.99.

Sheeeeeeesh.................

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:52:27 AM »
Hoarding loading components is like hoarding gold. A good inflation hedge.

Merry Christmas
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill