Author Topic: Pre 64 '94 What's the difference?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
Pre 64 '94 What's the difference?
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
Is there a difference in a pre-64 model '94 and a post '64.  I thought the big design change was just in the model 70's.   Why does it matter in a '94....just wondering.
thanks!
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Pre 64 '94 What's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:20:29 PM »
Funny you should ask. I was at a farmer friends shop today, and he had about a 1972 Model 94 standing in the corner of his office. He was telling me it was old, and I pointed out the pot metal, stamped out shell elevator to him.
Now the question: What does it matter? QUALITY JOE! OBVIOUS QUALITY! There's not much comparison between the pre & post. The latter was just that bad for a long time.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »
Oh, so you're saying Winchester was another victim of "efficient manufacturing"??  I haven't had a hankering for a lever gun since I owned a .375 Big Bore a few years back, until lately. I reallly liked that gun, but still never compared it to anything earlier.
thanks for the explanation!
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:40:34 AM »
Their quality dropped dramatically in 1964, and they were never the same. After that year, anything you bought in Winchester was a crap shoot.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Tonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »
Now when somebody else bought Winchester and realized what was just sitting behind closed doors, they started the lines back up making model 70 pre-64 rifles once again and that opened up a whole new world of great shooting, handling rifles with class and workmanship. I own several select grade model 70 and they are limps and bounds above any of the post 64 junk.

The new model 70 Winchesters are even better, with a better trigger as well. I am getting 2 new ones for Christmas and that is a secret don't cha know. ;D

Offline Tonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
I suppose you could say, that the difference would be going to the Senior Prom with the elected Queen or dating her widowed grandmother a month later!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, the difference in operating the lever is like night and day.  ::)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »
I have both (a couple from the 1940's, and one from 1967), and to me, with your eyes closed, there is no difference. The post 64 have a lifter that looks much cheaper, and some other cheaper parts that are less obvious. They also don't hold up to rebluing, which make Krylon a popular substitute in my parts. My thought is that there is a big difference to the trained eye, very little in function.

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »

Er, Tonk,   it's "leaps and bounds:.  :-)