Author Topic: New Scope Info  (Read 476 times)

Offline silvertrac51

• Trade Count: (1)
New Scope Info
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »
New scope for 30/06 TC Encore.

Leupold 66315 VX-3 Rifle Scope -- 4.5-14X50mm Silver Dplx   $675.00

Zeiss Conquest 521494-9920 Rifle Scope -- 4.5-14x50 Target  $788.00

I hunt very early and very late - for those who know - Wich one will be the best for the money ??

Are there others that would be better ??

Thanks, CLewis

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: New Scope Info
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:20:32 PM »
Both are pretty good scopes, although I'd personally probably give the edge in glass to the Zeiss.  Honestly, there are a bunch of good scopes in that price range and you are going to run into a whole lot of biased opinions.

Time to grab up a couple of pots of coffee and read for hours on people's opinions.  The Opticstalk and Longrangehunting forums are also good places to look into this subject, do a google search.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:11:16 PM »
Not familiar with the Zeiss target scope but if the crosshairs are fine, you may find them a little difficult to see at dark.  I have about a dozen Leupolds but one I bought a year ago on eBay has crosshairs that I wish were a little larger.  It is a duplex like the others, just more fine.

No gripe with either scope - just pay attention to the crosshairs.

Offline silvertrac51

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:36:43 AM »
You may be right on the fine crosshair. I have never put this kind of money in a scope. Have always used just OK scopes.
I feel at 59, I need to have a real good scope for a change. To many choices for everything now a days.

Thanks, CLewis

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
Check out the Sightron SIII line as well, better glass than the VX-III or VX-3, and close to the Zeiss Conquest, but with turrets that to me are just a bit more user friendly.

I also had good luck with a Burris XTR 3-12 a few years ago, it was my first semi-expensive scope and ran flawlessly for me, crosshairs were a bit thick for me for target shooting, but would have been great for hunting.  Glass was in the same range as the Leupold that you are looking at.  Only downside is that scope is big and heavy, not necessarily something you want in a scope that you have to hike around, but then again I'm a fan of staying in shape.