Author Topic: Mossberg 500 cantliever or H&R/NEF ?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline rpxr400

• Trade Count: (0)
Mossberg 500 cantliever or H&R/NEF ?
« on: December 31, 2009, 04:30:59 AM »
Looking for a new slug gun. I'm considering Mossberg 500 cantilever 12 ga. with a scope or H&R/NEF 20ga.
Has anybody shot slugs from both guns? I have heard good things about both as slug guns.

Just wondering which is more accurate at about 100 yds.

I would consider the 870 also, but it didn't feel comfortable to me.

The reason I'm looking at a 20 ga H&R is I held the 12ga and it is one heck of a heavy gun. If I get the Mossberg, I'll get a 12 ga because it's a combo with field barrel and may use it for other game.

Thanks

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
Re: Mossberg 500 cantliever or H&R/NEF ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 05:09:16 AM »
If your primary purpose is to have a new slug gun, then the H&R is what you want.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 05:15:54 AM »
Well -- that's a deep thought -- the real difference here is do you want a lighter weight, mainly upland gun, or do you want a 12 gauge do-it-all?

having both, I generally use the H&R because I carry more than I shoot.  Anymore, the mossy comes out for one of two reasons:
-- I am hunting waterfowl
-- I am letting someone else use the H&R and the mossy is what is left.

However, if I could only have ONE GUN, it would be a Mossberg 500 or maybe an Ithaca 37, in 12 gauge.  There are things that platform does that other guns can't.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »
   I had a Mossberg that at 100 Yards would shoot three shots touching eachother. Also had a Tracker11 in 20 gauge. Sold it to spikehorn. I am sure he can tell you how it shoots. The last deer i shot was with my 870 but believe me it shoots nowhere near as good as the Mossberg did.
             bobg

Offline rpxr400

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys. Appreciate the input.

pmeisel, I currently have a 12ga model 37. The thing will shoot a 1.5" group at 100 yards with Winchester fosters - with a 28" barrel and modified choke. The problem is the barrel has a little movement (1/32") and that throws the group off 8" right and 6" low. It's a consistent shooter, but way off when it's on the "bad" side of that 1/32". When it's in the good position, I can consistently hit clay birds on bullseye at 100 yds.

I can't ethically take that hunting like that. I had actually dabbed some paint on the barrel and receiver to visually see when it's correctly aligned, but that's just a band aid.

My father in-law said he talked to a friend who said maybe a gunsmith can install a set screw. I suppose that's feasible. After all, the barrel doesn't have to come off that often. Maybe I'll take it to a gunsmith and see what he can do.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »
I have the tracker II 20ga bobg was talking about and I put a scope rail on it and a 2X tru Glo red dot and it shoots 3 shots into what looks like 2 holes with lightfield hybred express at 65 yards. I also have a mossy trophy 500 rifled slug gun with a busnell banner 3X9X40 that clover leafs remington solid copper sabots at 75 yards. the only gun I hunted with during shotgun season this year was the tracker II 20ga much lighter than the mossy and recoil is like a small nudge compared to the mossy.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:29:36 AM »
If this is a new Mossberg you're looking at, the receiver is drilled and tapped and that's a lot better way to go than the cantilever for scope mounting. IMHO
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:32:35 AM »
Might add if you're talking about the 500 combo for turkeys also, swap out the scope for red dot and swap barrels and tom turkey best be watching his step.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 03:35:59 AM »
I have both. The NEF pardner pump has a more solid feel to it and I'm sure it will hold up to more abuse than the Mossberg. The NEF is very cheap.  I usually take out the Mossberg. I bought  a 28inch/24inch rifled barrel combo in mossy oak camo on sale for about three hundred bucks. The Mossberg is alittle unbalanced, top heavy, but the mossy oak finish is very easy to clean up and takes a beating. I'm currently waiting for a scope mount for the NEF (very long wait.) I'm replacing the horrible rifled sights for a set of fiber optics on the Mossberg. If it was just a deer gun I'd go with the NEF because of the balace, smooth action, and tank like construction. The NEF action works better then the 870 I use to have. This time of year Dick's usually has a decent sale going on. 

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 05:04:43 AM »
Mine are dedicated guns the mossy trophy 500 is a heavier barrel rifled slug gun. I also have a mossy 835 with real tree 2020 camo that has a red dot and a tru glo turkey choke that is an absolutely devasting turkey gun.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:44:46 AM »
RPXR, I'd go for the repair, I bet it would work and you'd have a fine gun you could use.  I would hate to have a gun that I just didn't trust..... in fact I did, a nice 16 double, but the length of pull was a little short and the comb a little low, I just couldn't shoot it.  Tried to get my sons interested but they aren't scattergunners, so I contributed it in a trade one son was making on a rifle.

I like carrying my H&R but it's tough to beat a good 12 pump as a can-do-what-you-need-done tool.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »
I would go with the H&R but I have an affinity for single shots so I am slightly biased...Never felt undergunned with it...Might have to do with the fact that I have never missed a deer with the first shot from my 12GA Ultra Slugger...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 03:51:44 AM »
Of the two, the H&R is considered to be much more accurate.  As with anything else, thats not a guarantee.  There are some people who have had bad luck with them.

As for pinning the barrel, I had that done to my 870 and it has made a huge difference.  I paid a gunsmith $30 to do mine.  Some charge as much as $50.