Author Topic: Key Questions to ask Outfitters  (Read 548 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Key Questions to ask Outfitters
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
These days all of the outfitters have pretty slick web pages to show off. I am planning a rifle antelope hunt in New Mewxico for 2010 and have been pretty bedazzled by all the outfitter choices. I have narrowed it down to a couple in the area I want to hunt. I am wondering what are the key questions I should now be asking of each of them in order to nail it down. Thanks.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
Re: Key Questions to ask Outfitters
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
I might be able to help ya on this one.
1st. It mostly depends on what you want to get out of, not just your hunt but the overall experience.
If you base it off the hunt alone you might be disappointed, especially if you are unsuccessful.
get prices & what is included with that price. get very detailed specifics & descriptions!
Lodging, nothing says disappointment like staying in an uncomfortable bed in an unheated cabin or a place that has bugs running across your face in the middle of the night. Along with that, get info on meals, weather your sharing the cabin with other parties, extra activities for down time like after dinner or if weather prevents you from hunting for a day, if thats not already listed on there web site.

2nd. Get previous hunters success rate & a reference of a hunter who was successful in (recent) years past.
If that cant be provided I would look somewhere else, but most will provide that information for you.

3rd. transportation to & from airport. If you drive get detailed directions. & I MEAN DETAILED! some of these places are way out there.

4th. hunt time, how many days you want to hunt, what time you will be up in the morning for the hunt & how long your out in the field for. lunch break or hunt all day out in the field?

5th. If successful, game preparation. Do they field dress, cape for taxidermy, pack it out, butcher, package,  label your meat & if you flew in, is it included or do they assist with shipping it back to your home or other destination?

6th. do they assist in getting you your tags & license, how many tags are handed out, when should you purchase those things, will you be hunting on private land or public & what the hunting pressure will be like.

7th. Don't rush anything. Talk to them for as long as you need to, keep in contact with them all year, Allow them to talk to give you a heads up on what you need to bring, things they DON'T provide you with, things they do provide for you. Get an exact location of the area you will be hunting & study it on google earth satellite imagery (Its free & if you dont already have it, you will want it for the area you hunt around where you live & use it to sight see the world)!

I haven't covered everything you need to know but it will get you started. I hope this helps you with your hunt next year.
GOOD LUCK! ;)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
Excellent. Thanks. I think I have most of those covered, but thanks for the input.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »
I would reinterate that you should have a good idea of the status of the land you will be hunting on. We had guides who were bringing clients onto a Refuge where I was working. It was legal for the public to hunt waterfowl, but commercial guiding is not allowed on most.  Somehow these guys had convinced their clients to lie for them. Don't get yourself in that situation.