Author Topic: Imperial Sizing Die Wax  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Imperial Sizing Die Wax
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »
I finally found some of this at my local store and bought a tin of it. Wow. I wish I had tried this before buying the Dillon case lube. I had 2 stuck cases with the Dillon lube and absolutely 0 trouble with the Imperial Wax. I will be gifting my bottle of lube to a local friend that reloads and wants it. To everyone that responded to my previous thread about stuck dies to start my holiday break thank you. After those responses I went out and tried the product I will use from now on. I was skeptical of that tiny tin but it requires so little wax that the tin will last for a long time.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: Imperial Sizing Die Wax
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
I have tried Imperial, Lee lube, made my own spray on with lee lube, water & alcohol.............found hornady Unique and love it.  The imperial was ok, but would dent a case after awhile because of build up of lube.  I have not had that problem with the Unique.  It smells good to.

Just my 2 cents

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »
Dunno who currently makes it but shortly after Redding took over the name they sent me a tin to try. I stuck more cases using it than with ALL other lubes I've ever tried combined. It's clearly not the super lube folks try to make it out to be. To me it's far too messy and time consuming to use and combined with the stuck cases I put it away to never see light of day again.

I use RCBS spray lube and have now almost since it first came out. I'm happy with it and see no need to experiment again unless it is discontinued again which it was for a short while until they resolved he packaging issues they developed when they switched from the original bottle.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:45:11 AM »
I've used just about any type of lube you can think of , now days I use Hornady's One Shot for my day to day loading and mass loadings , keeping the Imperial for case forming only .

The cheap Lee white cream does a very good job , however it does leave a lot of lube dents if you don't clean the dies every so often and is quite messy !

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »
 DO NOT TRY TO USE ALL THE hornady one shot in the can!!  When the lube runs out there is still propellent in the can. This WILL NOT lube the brass and you will get stuck cases! One shot is good,Dillon is great. Lee and RCBS are good also. I haven't bought a can of Imperial in years, it lasts a long time. I use Imperial for case forming only so the 2 tins I bought years ago should last MY life time.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:29:22 AM »
As Stimpy stated, you need to clean your DIES!! REGARDLESS of the lube your using. make a habit of it, depending on how much you load.

Those having hydraulic dents and build up are simply using too much lube. Only a Lil dab will do ya!!!  I have used it all others thru the years. The Imperial and Dillon remain my top go to lubes. ALL others are good, IMHO, Imperial is best. Even the lee lube, (You guys know how I feel about LEE) works well enough. Right now, I have cans of Hornady, RCBS and LYMAN on the bench as well as bottles of DILLON and tubes of LEE, RCBS and a tin of IMPERIAL in the front... Most of the time I just grab the DILLON as its easier, but ALWAYS when forming a case I'll use IMPERIAL.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »
 I found that often with a new set of dies, they were a bit sticky at first use. Now when I get new dies or if they have sat a long time, I'll take a Qtip and run a little lube around inside the die before putting the first case in. And I lube the first few cases a tiny bit heavy. Seems to help. I mostly use Hornady Unique and love it. One tub lasts me a very long time. Once a die has been used with this lube I can just put a very little bit on my fingertips, roll a case between them and run them thru the die, 30-06, 30-30, 300 win. But I also graphite the case necks inside and out. Use imperial graphite for that.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
I just use the RCBS pad and roll my shells on it.  After doing it with one group I got enough lube on my hand from wiping the excess off the other shells to lube the rest.  It almost makes it too easy.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
if you like imperial go to your pharacy and ask for a tub of anyhydros lanolin. It works just as well and is a heck of alot cheaper. I would have to guess that imperial sizing wax and this are the same thing
blue lives matter

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »
I like the Unique as well. I also agree with the boss, Iv'e stuck more cases with the Imperial lube

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »
Maybe it would have been less controversial to ask what the best brand of press is or what the best deer caliber is.  ;)

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 05:51:49 PM »
Experiences and opinions vary.   I've used Imperial for years and have never had a stuck case with it, ever.   Before the health went south I was reloading for near 50 firearms, so it got a lot of use too.   A very little goes a long, long way and that's the key to this product.   If you are denting cases you're using way too much wax and/or are not keeping your dies clean.   IOW, if you are too lazy to clean your reloading equipment after you use it (every time) then you reap what you sow.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
It is the super lube we make it out to be.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline aflineman

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 02:21:19 PM »
I like the Unique as well. I also agree with the boss, Iv'e stuck more cases with the Imperial lube
I like the Unique. I found that just placing a thin film on my fingers, picking-up a case, and rolling the case between the fingers works well. Quick, easy, and works very well with the way that I reload.
Have lights? Thank a Lineman!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 02:40:22 PM »
It is the super lube we make it out to be.

This is my experience too.
I have had stuck cases with Hornady and dillon spray lubes but none with Imperial Sizing wax. A little goes a very long way