Author Topic: Red Dot loads for a 44 mag. and jacketed bullets??????  (Read 764 times)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Red Dot loads for a 44 mag. and jacketed bullets??????
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »
 ;) I have a bunch of jacketed bullets and wanted to load Red Dot with them. Big Easy gave a nice load for cast, and that is the direction I will go once these are shot away... BUT I did some checking for my 44 mag. against the 45 Colt. with jacketed bullets the 44 had loads up around 9 grains with a 210 bullet, the 45 with a similar bullet was down around 6 grain. Both jacketed.... I have never had a satisfactory explanation why the 44 could not be loaded down like the 45 Colt, what gives here???????

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
Re: Red Dot loads for a 44 mag. and jacketed bullets??????
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:44:04 PM »
Keep in mind that the .45 Colt has been around since the late 1800s and was originally loaded with black powder.  SAAMI specs it at a pretty low pressure out of respect for the older guns that can't handle the more modern pressures.  This shows in reloading manuals, too.

As for loading down the .44 Mag?  I can't think of a reason not to as long as you're not loading squibs.  Don't want a bullet stuck in the barrel, after all...

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:58:34 PM »
 With the right powder,bullet, & load data the 44 can be loaded down like any other cartridge. I load mine down with H Universal & 200 grn plated bullets. It's just about like shooting a 38spcl in my 7.5" SRH.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:26:15 PM »
You can make mild loads for the 44.  For mine, I use Unique powder.  Check out the Alliant website.  They have some 44 special loads that will work in your 44 mag brass.  (5.9gr Red Dot and 200gr HP)

Go check the manual alliantpowderdotcom.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 02:45:47 PM »
 :D Thanks....  ;D