Author Topic: AR 15 red dot question  (Read 542 times)

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
AR 15 red dot question
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »
Hello!  I bought a new TascoPro Point red dot scope for my AR15 flattop. To mount it I also bought a Burris 1 inch high 30mm Extreme Tactical scope ring.  

The problem is, that the scope points left, bullet impact right, and I have no more windage in the scope. I tried to reverse the ring....same problem, in the same direction. The impact is 6" right at 25 yards.
What gives? Any ideas?
Can I vice up the ring and torque it with a padded wrench? Thanks for any help in advance.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline RB1235

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: AR 15 red dot question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:45:11 AM »
 I have an older millet dot scope that is backwards from what any rifle scope would be. If the bullet is impacting right I have to move it right. When the dot is centered for the next shot it will have moved left as it should have. Also if not mistaken it is 1/2" instead of 1/4". Sorry if this doesn't help. I wouldn't torque it out if the mount is the culprit. Would send back for a replacement. Just make sure before you do that you are not adjusted all the way to the left with the bullet hitting to the right.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:00:39 AM »
Can I vice up the ring and torque it with a padded wrench? Thanks for any help in advance.

Personally I'd not recommend it.

I suspect the real culprit is your picatinny rail is not properly aligned with the barrel. That's a lot more common these days in guns I've bought than it used to be long ago. Not a rail as such but the scope mounting provisions of the rifle maker whatever that might be.

It's one of the reasons I used Burris Signature rings almost exclusively these days. I've run into one that even with the plus/minus offsets in both rings it wouldn't bring it back to zero and another couple that doing so still only barely allowed me to sight them in.

Short of using Signature rings I honestly have no real solutions for you. What I would do I think is first rule out the Red Dot sight as the problem. Put a known good scope on it and see if that will sight in. If so then I'd say the red dot sight is at fault. If you can't then your rifle is the problem most likely. If switching rings didn't help then I'd rule out the rings as the problem.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:43:26 AM »
box the gun and the ring up and send it to the manufacture of your gun.
blue lives matter

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »
Just an update, it was the scope.  I was instructed to send it to the Bushnell service center. (I'm confused. ::))  The new unit is on the way back free of charge.  The way I figured it was the scope, was to rotate it 90 degrees, the L/r now became the elevation; I couldn't get it to come up to zero.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff