Author Topic: 22" 45-70 question  (Read 384 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
22" 45-70 question
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »
Would it make any sense to ream a 22" barrel to 45-120? Would the short barrel burn all the black powder or do you really need the longer barrel of the BC for the 45-120? I imagine the regular Handi would pound the daylights out of you too wouldn't it? I know it's a silly question but hey....never hurts to ask I guess.

Spanky

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 22" 45-70 question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »
I am certainly not a black powder expert, but I think it burns fairly quickly. I know it will explode if put into a pile while modern powder will burn real hot. I think the idea of a long barrel with black powder is when using iron sights you get a long sight radius, thus helping accuracy. They generally used heavy bullets and the longer barrel helps with recoil too. I am sure there are others who will jump in here and really give you the straight scoop. Keep your powder dry ;) Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline BrianB

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 22" 45-70 question
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:20:02 AM »
I would find it difficult to believe all that BP would burn before the bullet exits the barrel.  The burn rate is too slow.  Even in an 1886 Browning 45-70 (longer barrel, I think) with 40 grains of IMR 3031, we are seeing unburned powder in the barrel. 

Then there is the recoil issue.  Whew! The design of the Handi pounds you bad enough in a 45-70, I can't imagine what 120 grains of BP would do to my shoulder in that gun.

On the upside, New Years Eve is just around the corner.  I would think if you shot it at night, the flames coming out of the barrel would rival any fireworks display! :D