Author Topic: Candy  (Read 632 times)

Offline AAAJohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Candy
« on: November 07, 2003, 02:38:32 AM »
I've tried salt, corn, sweet feed, and peanut butter and the deer seem like they can take it or leave it with all of them. Now I hear about candy and friend says they like it so much they come looking for it and will almost take it out of your hand. I'm talking about peppermint after dinner mints.
Have anyone else on heard anything about this. I bought some and started to mix it in with my corn in my feeder the other day and was afraid it might have a reverse affect.
Thanks!
John

Offline Myk

Candy
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 10:29:34 AM »
I've heard about it with Bear and that it's banned for use on bear because it's unhealthy for the animals.

The closest I've heard about candy on deer has been the molassass based baits. (I wonder why those have been OK but the candy blocks on bear aren't?)

But it doesn't effect me either way, no baiting around here. We can't even feed deer in off season now.

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
Candy
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 11:50:53 AM »
I read a research study that was conducted in Wisconsin. Guess what the #1 attractant smell was for whitetail deer in that study?

Well, it wasn't acorn, corn, alfalfa,  or any other crop. It was PEANUT BUTTER!  :eek:
Who would have ever guessed that? Should bring in every other critter too. :grin:

VH

Offline 1911crazy

Candy
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 02:02:11 PM »
Well me and my brother started a tradition we carried "5th Avenues" in our pockets and would feed them to chipmunks as we walked down the old loggin roads and in apple orchards boy do the orchrads come to life when the chipmunks get a sugar high!!! Their bouncing off the trees talk about covering your noise up.  You just have to wait till one freezes and stares and look what he is looking at one time a bear was walking up. You just have to read the little critters.                      BigBill

Out of all the candy we/them liked the 5th avenues the best!!!

Offline broken arrow

Candy
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 07:26:08 PM »
Well, there may be something to it. If any of you have a cat, put a little vapo-rub or a touch of bengay on your arm and theres a very good chance that your cat will go ballistic. They (At least many) love the stuff. I have a working theory on this. The cat uses what's called a Jacobson's gland to taste what we smell Their sense of smell is far more accute than our own. I think these vapors excite the gland and actually stimulate it somehow. The really cool thing, is that the good ol' white tail deer also has a jacobson's gland that it uses exactly like a cat. Who knows? (my dog hates the stuff.) :P
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
Candy
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 05:52:49 PM »
I often wonder if they can smell the human sent on certain foods that we put out and that's why they avoid them for awhile. I put out some molassas and the deer didn't even come close until it rained and melted it into the soil, then they tore everything up. Even the packaging that grain comes in or the truck that hauled the stuff could have a unappealing oder to it.

Just a thought.

Ryan