Author Topic: burris 2-7 compact scope  (Read 1616 times)

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
burris 2-7 compact scope
« on: December 10, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »
Hi, I have an oppertunity to buy a deer rifle with a Burris 2-7 compact scope on it . Are these scopes any good ? if I want to sell the scope what is it woth ? just a ballpark figure will be ok. thanks Craig

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: burris 2-7 compact scope
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:20:28 AM »
I have owned 5 Burius scopes and only 1 of them was any good. I have several friends that love them, but the only way I will own another one is if I get it in a trade with other stuff I want. Just one mans oppenion.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:52:34 PM »
My opinion of them isn't much different. They are infamous for having trash floating around in them and comments on customer service seem about half good and half bad with some of the bad being horrible. I had one distributor of them warn me away due to customer service issues a few years back.

I've owned mostly handgun scopes and they do OK other than the floating trash that was in at least half of them. The one rifle scope I've owned from them had floating trash.

Like their rings, hate their scopes. I pretty much just don't consider them when looking for a scope.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
I like them. Ive had good luck with them. Great customer service.  The 2X7 compact may be the one I put on my Model 7 for next year. When I get some xtra money that is ;D I like their older scopes better. Made in USA.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »
The glass is clearer and brighter than a vx-II leuopold that costs considerably more. Problem is with the warranty. They seem to try and associate damage to product as abuse so they will not have to replace. I personally will only give 50% max  of new price for a Burris. That would put it at around $80.

As long as it keeps working is a wonderful scope. If it fails be prepared to fight. I have sicked the BBB on them once and gotten a replacement. It was on a .223. No way they could stand behind abuse for reticule shifting. I finally started not adjusting them at all. Once sighted in I just hold over now instead of dialing in. It is truly a shame because the glass is near the best in my price range. But I usually end up buying a Buckmaster used and having a little less better glass, so as not to have to deal with the turds. New I have been buying Vortex and have been pleased so far.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
I have used 3 or 4 over the years, including a 2x7 Fullfield on a high milage AR-15, without problem.  That is a $169.00 scope, new.  As was already noted here, the lower priced Leopold's are not quite as sharp and clear (to my eyes), but they almost never fail, and are well known for their great customer service.  I have not had the need to try out Burris's life time warranty.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline sillasr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »
I've been looking into one for a flattop I have I want to use and they seem to be pretty good scopes. If you deceide to sell it let me know.
sillasr@yahoo.com
rsillas@co.eddy.nm.us