Author Topic: Mountain Howitzer Build - Carriage Plans Needed  (Read 2875 times)

Offline XxLT250RxX

• Trade Count: (0)
Mountain Howitzer Build - Carriage Plans Needed
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:08:56 AM »
I am almost finished with my 5/8 scale Mountain Howitzer barrel.  I still need to cut the taper on the barrel and machine and weld the trunions.  Then it on to the carriage.  Anybody have any plans for the carriage they care to share?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Mountain Howitzer Build - Carriage Plans Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:49 PM »
Have you checked with AOP?

Hey Southpaw we need to build a steady rest like this one!

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:38:55 AM »
Thanks Double D, they do have them and at a good price.  I guess I am just impatient.  I wanted them now and I can't order them online.  They want a check or MO.  I have never seen any of their plans.  I wonder about the quality?  I also found other places online but am hesitant to order something I don't know about. I guess I'll just have to be patient and mail them a MO.  Thanks anyway.

The steady rest is something I threw together just for this barrel.  It I were going to use it much I would hinge the upper half to make it easier to use.  It's not doing anything in the picture.  I just slid it back out of the way.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:40:21 AM »
Their plans are very good, although they are copies of originals, so sometimes there are differences from today's practices.  They are for full size guns so if you are building a sub-scale model, you will have to recompute the dimensions (or draw it in a CAD program full scale and change the scale.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »
there are differences from today's practices.  .)
That's what I was afraid of but I can probably make it work.  Hey, they did.
(or draw it in a CAD program full scale and change the scale
  That's not a problem.  I have Mastercam X4.  That is what I did with the barrel..  If anybody needs the full size plans for the barrel click the link.

http://www.longcamp.com/online_storage/model1835.jpg

Offline dirtdobber1919a4

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 05:49:18 PM »
two questions. what are you planning to shoot?  and would you be willing to share your plans?

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
two questions. what are you planning to shoot?
Good question.  I really don't know at this point.  The bore is 2 3/4".  Two inch PVC pipe fittings are a perfect fit.  May fill some with concrete and try that.

and would you be willing to share your plans?

The only plans I have are for the barrel.  Click the link in the post above to get them.  I did scale them down to about 5/8 scale but I butchered them for my on purpose.  I read an old post by Double D where he talked about building canons with screw-in breech plugs using Acme threads.  I thought this was a good idea considering the material I had on hand.  You can see the breech plug below.  I believe the design is sound but since I have altered the original design I don't feel comfortable letting them get out into the general public (liability).  

Still got to cut the small stem off the end.