Author Topic: Controlling the sound of the muzzlebreak/flash suppressor?  (Read 398 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Controlling the sound of the muzzlebreak/flash suppressor?
« on: December 26, 2009, 06:16:02 AM »
I was at the range a few days ago getting my new Ruger mini-14 tactical broken in and adjusted, this rifle has a larger flash suppressor than the typical AR rifles.  Two fellows sat next to me and really started shooting their AR-15/M-4 rifle with a 30 rd. magazine and the muzzle blast from the flash suppressor was really hitting me in the mid-section of my upper body, I have experienced this before with these types of rifles.  I could tell that my rifle was bothering them too, as it became a dance to guess when each was going to pull the trigger to avoid flinching, as soon as the spot to their right opened up they got away from me.

I don't want to annoy people at the range and this is the first rifle I have owned with a muzzle break, is there anyway that this can be quieted down (reduced air impact on others)?  Would putting tape on the openings help, or would it get blasted away quickly? 

Now I am reluctant to get an AR type rifle as this muzzle break issue is very annoying.

Thanks.

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Re: Controlling the sound of the muzzlebreak/flash suppressor?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »
Flash suppressors typically aren't the problem, they don't redirect muzzle blast to any real extent, they just break up the flash signature.

Brakes (compensators) on the other hand, function by redirecting the muzzle blast. Generally, the more efficient they are at taming recoil and muzzle rise, the more obnoxious they are to anyone seated to either side.

I don't like the brakes and I feel that people that use them should exercise some common courtesy when it comes to their fellow shooters at the range.

This gets me a lot of "F_ you! I will do whatever I want and if you don't like it, LEAVE!" comments from other shooters.

Brakes are not made for close-quarters seating. But they do serve a purpose and there's nothing inherently wrong with them as long as the owner mans up and treats his fellow shooters with respect.

Sadly, there's way to little of that behaviour anymore

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 09:57:20 AM »
I switched the flash supressor on my AR to a muzzle break..a bushmaster Y something or other.  The blast was aweful so I switched it back.  I did it cause it looked cool...waste...why a break on a 223 anyway?
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 01:20:17 PM »
I actually removed the Flash Hider from my 16" Bushmaster after a couple of mishaps. One was I was shooting out the drivers window of my patrol vehicle at a skunk. The blast coming off of the side of the flash hider blew up the spotlight on my patrol vehicle.

I have considered getting a LeVang Compensator. This one just has holes that direct the venting gases straight forward.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 02:13:10 PM »
Terry
This gets me a lot of "F_ you! I will do whatever I want and if you don't like it, LEAVE!" comments from other shooters.

I would then commence to take the Mosin Nagant out of the case, and commence firing down range :D

SD Handgunner
The blast coming off of the side of the flash hider blew up the spotlight on my patrol vehicle

What are you shooting out of the Bushmaster? I have a brake(for koolness) on my AK pump in a .223. It does make it louder but i have not really noticed extra high pressure.

LOnny

Lonny