Author Topic: Somebody correct me if I am wrong...356 'IS' .358.  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Somebody correct me if I am wrong...356 'IS' .358.
« on: December 15, 2002, 06:12:18 PM »
I have never seen .356 bullets for a .356 Cartridge.  I seriously doubt if they exist.  I have seen .357 pistol bullets, and even .355/9mm, but havent seen any such beast as a .356 bullet for re-loading. As a matter of fact...I have never heard of a .356 Die set.  I have heard of a .358/.356 Winchester die set.  They are one and the same.  I shoot a 356 Winchester and I use .358 dies for it.  If there is a die set that works better for this cartridge...I want to know.  The only difference that I know about is the shell holder.
....make it count

Offline hammerhead357

Can a .358 gas checked lead bullet be sized
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 07:01:57 PM »
Robert, I think you missed the point of the question. I would think that a .358 gas checked bullet would go thru a .356 die however the hardness of the lead would have a lot to do with the force nessesary to do this I have never tried it . But I have had dies in sizes such as .3555, .356, .3565, .357, .3575, .358, and .3585 so one can get sizing dies in nearly any size desired. Now I don't know if Lee makes these sizes I only know about Saeco and Star (Magma)   Wes

Offline Robert

Yeah, I missed the point by a mile.....
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 07:26:05 PM »
...that one is out of my league....I just let Billy take care of that stuff for me.
....make it count

Offline hammerhead357

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2002, 07:30:55 PM »
JP, sorry if everything I say doesn't go together have worked 14 hrs and been up about 19 so may not make sense all the time. I would think that ww  would go through the sizer but what kind of luber-sizer are you using. I only have used the Saeco and Stars. But both are hell for strong just don't use to much force or you can ruin the bullets and maybe even spring the lube-sizer out of alignment.  Sorry about the rain the weather here today was clear and about 78 deg. f. it was wonderful to bad I had to work. Would rather have been fishing or shooting or ????? !!!!!!!!     Wes

Offline hammerhead357

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2002, 08:02:22 PM »
JP I am still here and trying to think of an answer to your problem. I would think if one were to be careful you should be able to use the Lee sizer to size the bullets to .356 if you coat them with lube first and be careful. Don't use to much armstrong...   Really off grid, we used to live 27 miles from the nearest town and still were on the grid. Now I don't know if that was a benifit or not. But had to move so wife could get a job. Still trying to get set up again at least somewhat out in the woods. Down here one can be 40 miles out and still some damn fool will come up and steal everything you have.  I can relate to the liberal Cal. people I have a friend in Reno, Nev. he bitches about the idiots all the time. Oh well have to go its time to give it a rest if I don't get side tracked.    Wes

Offline Robert

J.P. I'm glad I am not the only one getting rained out......
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2002, 08:52:06 PM »
But just be glad we dont live where P.J. lives.  He is closer to Portland  and it gets really wet there.  I really dont want to go to work tomorrow, cause I know the boss wants me to set fence.  Sure wish we would get some kind of winter instead another rainy year.
....make it count

Offline hubbard

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2002, 12:12:08 AM »
i've got a mould that drops  a .361 dia. bullet and  i size them to .358 with no problems.  the gas check sizes down with the rest of the bullet.  push  one of your bullets through the .356 sizer and see what happens. sometimes i notice a slight narrowing of the lube grooves but doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2002, 02:54:35 AM »
It will work fine if you use the LEE sizer on a good press I do it to allsorts of stuff. Use case sizing lube and it will be easier on you.
lead bullets done right

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
resize cast w/gc
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 09:34:14 AM »
jpgreen, I can tell you what I do and they work well. of course this is a rifle round.  I take my .312 cast rifle bullet (they through at around .314) put a gas check on it and run it through my lee .309 sizer with lube and load them in all my .30 cal rifles.  They work out well and are very accurate.  I have read that when you work the WW bullets down more than a few thou that you soften the lead but they shoot OK at speeds higher than you will push with your Sig.  Best of luck and go for it.  JB

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2002, 02:58:10 PM »
You didn't say which bullet you are using.  Your lee sizer has the bullet pushed "up" by the ram, thru the sizer, and into the holding container?

I don't see where there would be a problem.  If the gas check, per chance, happens to be the hang up in going thru the sizer, if you are sizing a flat nose, run them thru upside down so the rounded edge on the gas check gets sized first.  The gas check will then crimp into the bullet base and the bullet should size relatively well.

Good luck.  Trying a few won't hurt you.

Steve :wink:
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline cukrus

sizing to .356
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2002, 07:32:23 AM »
I agree with Billy Marr. What press are you using? That's the critical part of your question.