Author Topic: thoughts on polishing residue  (Read 618 times)

Offline Argonaut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Semper FI
thoughts on polishing residue
« on: December 24, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »
I use a  vibrating type tumbler with straight walnut or corn cob media, no additives espicially not the lyman stuff that has alot of red stuff (jewlers rouge?) in it.  I have found lots of residue from it inside my cases.  I brush out my cases before loading them to get rid of abrasive dust.

Is this much of a concern for any one else?

I though about not polishing my brass at all, but being a Marine, I can't abide dull brass and I am attracted to brite shiny things!

Roy
4 years United States Marine Corps 1976-1980 (the entire carter adminstration)
16 years United States Air Force 1981-1997

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: thoughts on polishing residue
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
I would guess the only real potential problem is media in the flash hole.  I usually use compressed air and dust mine off when I remove them from the media...
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 05:26:43 PM »
My thoughts are that when you start to get much of an accumulation of dust in and on the case it's time for new media. Lots of dust accumulating means lots of wear on the media and while that doesn't necessarily mean it's worn out I really don't like too much dust so especially with walnut hull media figure it's high time to change it out.

The dust supposedly at least accumlates lead from the primers and isn't too good to get inside your lungs. When the media starts to get too dusty I make it go away. An ideal way to make the dust go away if ya can work it out is to leave the tumbler running outside in a breeze and let the wind blow it away as the tumbler stirs it up. I keep meaning to do that but generally forget until it gets to the point of tossing it. With my corn cob media the dust really gathers on the center protrustion that the threaded rod goes thru and the washer there. Each time I use that tumbler I take a Wet-One and wipe it all off. That does a pretty good job of holding down the dust in that media. The walnut hull doesn't seem to cling like that so that's not a solution for that tumbler.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Argonaut

• Avid Poster
  • Semper FI
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »
thanks for the info on media maintance.  I never though about sifting the dust out to keep it down. I will do that with a dust mask on!  I sure like to nice shiny brass. I just can't help it
4 years United States Marine Corps 1976-1980 (the entire carter adminstration)
16 years United States Air Force 1981-1997

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
I don't place a big economic value on case cleaning media. When it gets dirty, I toss it and load up with new stuff.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
i do know i am not buying the dyed stuff again. that red dye will not come off my hands and is just a mess.

i think i will use corn or crushed walnuts instead.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »
Another way to control dust is to every so often , toss part of a used Dryer Sheet in with a load of cases , it will trap the dust while your cleaning the brass .

After your done with that batch , just take out the sheet and toss it in the trash along with the dust .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline wncchester

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 12:44:55 PM »
"i do know i am not buying the dyed stuff again. that red dye will not come off my hands and is just a mess."

I obviously don't know what media you're using but most of that kind of red stuff is rouge polish, actually a very finely ground rust.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »
yup
Another way to control dust is to every so often , toss part of a used Dryer Sheet in with a load of cases , it will trap the dust while your cleaning the brass .

After your done with that batch , just take out the sheet and toss it in the trash along with the dust .

stimpy
blue lives matter

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Great tip Stimp!. Thanks. I've been doing similar to GB and then tossing when it gets real cruddy.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline boondocker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 04:52:14 AM »
yup

stimpy

I do the same as we have a ready supply of used dryer sheets. I have done this for years.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:56:51 AM »

stimpy

Thanks friend, tried this last evening, works great!  You CAN teach an old dog new tricks...

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
I you place a fan by your seperator (do this outside) when you pour your brass and media out the fan will blow away the dust. I do this sometimes but I am really to lazy to take it outside often, I like the dryer sheet ideal. No work involved. ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired