Author Topic: why i made the choice i made  (Read 838 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
why i made the choice i made
« on: October 30, 2003, 02:33:38 AM »
boys i just bought a sig.357 barrel for the 239 and a new sig p220 in a .45. the reasons i made this choice was-stand alone reliability.
i was interested in and  still like the 1911 platform and maybe someday i will get one . having said that i did some research.
the weapon is purely a truck carry gun.  it will be strictly self-defence and will be bounced around in an often uncontrolled enviornment. i wanted a heavy framed, ss, weapon in a .45 cal. the gun had to be reliable out of tha box and reliable in the presence of danger.
the post i read here and the 1911 forum left me with severe doubts as to out of the box reliability. seems as though a lot of work and breakin in was necessary and reliability was not tha norm. the environment was another issue.
there were other choices which conformed to the specs i desired but the sig, in a .40 which i have, has proven to be a good reliable gun without having to tune it up-so a sig in this flavor seemed to suit tha bill.
the 1911 is still the best feeling of the .45's but i'm no gunsmith and i don't enjoy that end of gun ownership-don't have the skills and really don't want tha skills.
the reasons for the post--well i see a lotta folks askin why and what--and that is good-so i thought i'd tell em why and what.
btw-why another gun if i have a .40 and a sig .357 barrel too---well look at the old post on how many guns is anuff and actually cause you folks convienced me tha .45 was tha best choice.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 06:40:03 AM »
That's a very good choice, and well thought out, congrats! :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 02:18:04 PM »
William,
The SIG is always a good choice, the .45 for sure!  Over the years I have owned a dozen or so 1911s. They all functiond reliably right of the box, with the exception of one Argentine. In my 7 plus years of military service I fired and witnessed the firing of scores more. The few malfunctions I recall were easily traced to limp wristing or tired magazine springs. The 1911 is one of the most time tested designs with over 60 years military service. I would be suprised if any 1911 from a major manufacturer wouldn't function perfectly out of the box. My 1911s function perfectly, wouldn't carry them on duty if they didn't. Isn't that the ultimate expression of trust!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 02:48:51 AM »
savage-
i agree with you to a great extent. i was within a hairs breath of a dw patriot. the reasons-to me, just me think and decisions i had to make for me-were two fold-well maybe three fold. the ejector-the comments made here and there indicated to me a weak link in the process. it could be overcome with the external/tactical extractor. the break in needed-the overwhelming comments made indicated a well dedicated break in period with some need to change parts and fine tune the system. you are much more adept and willing to do this than i am. i applaude you and i guess i'm lazy-afraid of my compitiness in this area-don't really enjoy it. now i like reading about these things and you boys really know what your talking about. ya'll have helped me understand a great deal. i have learned things that never made a great deal of sense before. i also saw some of my limits. the cost and a feeling, for my mental make-up, of the choice.
i guess i've said all that to say-for half the price i could get a weapon that i felt comfortable with and had confidence in. could i have chosen a colt? yes. and it was a close call-as in near bout did that. same for a S&W.
i had to make choices for me and i have to live with those choices. yea, i have made some mistakes in choices over the years in many areas-but-they were my choices and i would rather take the blame than spend a great deal of time trying to get over doing what others felt were right for themand were, from the end of research, i felt was right for me.
anywho i've done what i have done and i take responsibility for myonself.
i really appreciate your comments and thoughts. i do not think anybody but friends would take the time to share them. you and gn69 and so many more. i've left some out but it is not from anything except my poor memory.
blessings
ps- a 1911 is in the future--$$$$.
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 03:15:37 AM »
William,
I still say you made a good choice! I have nothing but high praise for SIG.
I don't sell guns, so I have no stake in anyone's choice. Just wanted to clear up some commonly held misconceptions about the 1911 platform.
ANY gun that's going on my duty belt or in my pants is going to have to pass a initial test of several hundred rounds without malfunction! The same standard applies to the Glocks and SIGs! All mine are as close to 100% as any mechanical object can be. Oh yeah,as far as changing parts goes, usually the grips and sometimes the sights. Of course I change some of the internal parts on my Glocks to make them suit me. Most people that change parts do it to fit a personal preference, not to insure function!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 03:37:05 AM »
i'm real proud you could desipher my rambling-i doan write all that well-well i guess i could do better than that with a little effort. thnx for your thoughts.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Your Choice
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 04:58:13 AM »
William:  your choices were good ones.  You go with what you are comfortable with and can handle effectively.  The 2-300 rounds it would have taken you to break in a new out of the box 1911A1 and effectivley familiarize yourself with it is the same number of rounds it will take you to effectively familiarize yourself with your Sig in 45 acp.  I just prefer the feel of the 1911 platform.  You should be satisfied with your choices.

Now, ya'll went and did something else that endears you to my hopelessly wildcatted self - ya'll went and bought your own self a 357 Sig bbl for a 40 S&W - Good Man William Layton, good man!  Now, after you get intimately familiar with tha Sig in 45 acp, go get yourself a 400 Cor-Bon bbl and turn that truck gun into a real shooter.  The 400 Cor-Bon bbls are drop in interchangeables, just like the 357 Sig and the 40 S&W.  Then, with two pistols you have 4 calibers, and two of the 4 are good enough for small game up to the size of whitetail.  Good choices.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 07:12:51 AM »
well huh-didnt know i was doing that good--thanx  but now ya wwant me to spend some more money--well-i aint got no more rat now.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD