Author Topic: Need info on Remington cylinder size & dimensions - Pietta and others  (Read 1394 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I have a Pietta 1858 Remington Navy - .36 cal.  I do leatherwork and am going to make a "spare cylinder" pouch to carry spare cylinders in on the holster belt.  Can anyone advise me if the overall size of the Navy (36 cal) Remington cylinders is the same as the Army (44 cal) cylinders?  In other words, is the diameter of the cylindeers the same, cylinder length the same and cylinder pin diameter size the same (for both the Pietta Remy Navy and Army)?  I'm talking strictly about reproduction revolvers.  Does the same hold true for other manufacturers such as Uberti, Navy Arms, etc.?  Are the cylinder sizes in the different manufacturers close enough so that a spare cylinder pouch could be made that would be interchangable between Remingtons made by different manufacturers or is there too great a difference in cylinder pin diameters, cylinder lengths and diameters, etc.?  I am going to get a Remington Army eventually and would like to make the pouch so it could be used for both the Navy and the Army.  The pouch will resemble a cartridge pouch, have a wood bottom insert with probably aluminum or brass pins to slide the cylinder pin hole over when placing the  the spare cylinders into the pouch so that they stay centered and separated in the pouch and don't bang around, etc. inside.  Any help on cylinder sizes would be appreciated!  Many thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Flint

Re: Need info on Remington cylinder size & dimensions - Pietta and others
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »
Any newly made Pietta or Uberti repro "58" cylinder is the same size in both 36 and 44.  (Newly made means within the last 20 years).  The Pietta cylinder is about .020 linger than the current Ubertis. years ago, Uberti decided that it was cheaper to underbore the 44 than to make two separate frames, as had the original Remington.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »
Thank you Flint for the information - I greatly appreciate it.  The .020 difference between the length of the Pietta and Uberti is minimal in regards to making the cylinder case - now all I have to do is get my pattern made and get my leather cut!  Many thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline kid buckskin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »
I made one for one of my fellow gun slingers I made it in such a way that it could be adj for testion and it workes