Author Topic: Crimson Trace Lasergrips v. Lasermax System  (Read 496 times)

Offline brianrull

• Trade Count: (0)
Crimson Trace Lasergrips v. Lasermax System
« on: April 23, 2004, 02:51:44 AM »
Interested in buying a laser system for a Beretta 92FS.  I would appreciate any comments, positive or negative on either system.  Any other light/laser system suggestions are welcome too!  Primary use will be home defense, with occasional personal carry (car, briefcase, etc.)

Offline Ken in SENM

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 12:37:23 PM »
Brian,

I own three sets of Crimson Trace Laser grips. I have never owned any other kind of laser sighting system. I have handled others and did not find them to my liking. I spent several years in the law enforcement profession and was a firearms instructor in a State Police Academy for most of those years.

Laser sights came along after that time for me, but except for specialized usage, I could not warm up to  any of the laser sights that attached externally to firearms. There were just too many things to go wrong or get in the way or get knocked out of alignment to suit me. And it took a special holster to carry the weapon as well.

The first time I handled a Crimson Trace grip, I was sold. I have not tried them on a semi automatic firearm, but I have used them for some time on double action revolvers, specifically a J frame Smith, a K frame Smith, and a small frame Taurus. I would have sold my soul to have had a set of these things back in the days when I wore a uniform. I personally cannot figure out why officers today are not issued side arms with these installed.  And if not, I do not understand why they don't buy them themselves.

Now for civilian use, a bit of experimentation around your home at night, or anywhere else in poor light or none, will show that the Crimson Trace sights allow you to know exactly where your firearm is pointing. If you can drop the hammer without disturbing that point, you will hit whatever you are pointing at. They do not replace a flashlight, and you MUST make certain to properly identify your target.

All the other important stuff still applys. Any laser sight will allow someone to see where you are, so you don't want to turn it on and leave it on. A bit of practice allows you to hold your firearm at the ready without turning on the laser, and a slight movement of your finger or grip will turn it on when you are ready. A plus is the fact that the miscreant can see the red dot, and if he/she has a clue, what comes next should be evident. I also think that the laser shined in someone's eyes would have to blind them a bit, at least for a time.

The Crimson Trace products are easy to use, easy to replace the batteries when it is time, the batteries appear to last a long while, and the sight is easily adjustable for point of impact. You can use the holsters or other gun sacks you now have. There is a master switch that allows you to completely turn off the laser. the batteries are lithium discs with long shelf life. I have found no reason at all to be critical of this product, and I highly recommend them. I hope this helps in your quest for information.
So long ... Pudge

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 04:13:32 AM »
I use a set of Crimson Traces on a 1911, and am quite happy with them.

I agree with Ken about the grips, with the following exception. The laser is a sighting system, PERIOD. When you turn it on, you have revealed your position. Forget about the guy seeing the red dot on his chest, or blinding the guy with the beam. If you are using the system properly, he shouldn't have time to notice it before he sees a big muzzle flash.

Offline DzrtRat

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 06:20:11 AM »
I agree with the posts above.  I have the Crimson Trace grips on my J-Frame Smith and they're great.  I have trouble seeing the sights clearly in dim light, and any time I can't see the sights clearly, the lazer is very visible.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Crimson Trace on SP 101
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 10:21:13 PM »
Just put  Crimson Trace grips on myRuger Sp 101 last week and shot it Friday.  WOW - best I've ever shot with that gun.  At 30 feet in daylight I could keep all my shots in 8 inch or less using double action, full power 357 loads of 125 to 158 gr as fast as I could pull the trigger and hold accurately.  I could see the laser clearly on the target and could see the effect of my trigger squeeze.  I have much greater confidence in this gun than I ever had before.  I had quit carrying it and hardly practiced with it because I just wasn't shooting it well.  Turns out its much more accurate than I could sight it with the iron sights- single action off the bench I was shooting 1.5 to 2 inches at 30 feet - often 3-4 shots could be covered by a quarter.   I'm sure with practice now I can increase my speed.  Also, my hands are smallish and the grips fit well.  Now if they just had soft rubber inserts for a little extra control.

Pudge - thanks for the tip regarding controlling the light and risk of revealing one's position.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA