Author Topic: Federal Intensity Optics any Good?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Ultra25-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Wish I was Hunting, getting closer. Spring bear.
Federal Intensity Optics any Good?
« on: December 26, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »
Federal Intensity Optics? Anyone seen or used these? Please let me know your experiences.
What did you do today...for Freedom?
Today, at the front, he died...Today, what did you do? Next time you see a list of dead and wounded, ask yourself: "What have I done for freedom? What can I do tomorrow that will save the lives of men like this and help them win the war?"
Taken from WWII poster, still applies today.
USAF
Proud NRA member.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Federal Intensity Optics any Good?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 03:02:27 AM »
Maybe they are then again maybe they aren't. But ask yourself do you REALLY wanna buy a line of optics that likely will be discontinued within a scant few years never to be seen again or would you instead rather buy from an established product line you know will be around when you might need repairs?

Due to so many optics being made overseas in pacific rim countries these days it's easy for anyone with a bit of capital to start up a new optics company with their own brand name. Darn few of these new outfits are still around five much less ten years down the road. In addition it's hard to be sure how good or bad they really are going to be until they have a few years service behind them and by then if they are importing lower quality then they probably will be out of business. I stick to established brands personally and leave the trails of these start up outfits to others.

But as a more direct answer no I have no clue of their quality.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ultra25-06

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 03:36:57 AM »
I had the same thoughts and have no intrest in purchasing one. I was just curious as to weather anyone has, if I recall didnt Federal just come out with a optics line not to long ago under a diffrent name? What happen to that? Now a new line? As stated so many diffrent brands popping up its crazy.
Today, at the front, he died...Today, what did you do? Next time you see a list of dead and wounded, ask yourself: "What have I done for freedom? What can I do tomorrow that will save the lives of men like this and help them win the war?"
USAF
Proud NRA member.

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:58:22 PM »
I participate in the Rimfire Central forum. The Intensity optics got very good reviews from a lot of people. I bought one for my Savage Mark ll. It was a good buy. I can't speak for reliability over time but it works just fine.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »
I own the Federal Intensity 3.8X12X44 asperical scope.  I'm pleased with it.  One of my fellow shooters at range noticed this scope and asked me about it for he too was curious about it.  He definitely uses some very nice scopes on his rifles, much higher priced than I can afford, and I let him look through the scope at a target 100 yards away.  He was very impressed with the clarity of the scope.  As far as durability of the scope, well, I can't make a fair assessment on that.  I have it mounted on a 257 Roberts rifle, which has a low recoil, and I've maybe 30 rounds fired with the scope on the rifle.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »
They are ATK (parent company of Weaver), made in PI (a good thing). Supposedly, ATK is now rebadging them as $200+ Weavers.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »
I bought one of the federal intensitys with the aspherical lenses in it.  It is by far one of the best bangs for the buck now.  It sits on top of one of my k31s and it has held zero so far.  I had been buying Muellers for a cheap scope, but thought I'd try one of these. I've always like the old Simmons Aetec and from what I read the two scopes they offer with these lenses are almost and exact copy. The Simmons Aetec was a really good scope until Meade screwed with it and turned it into junk.  The warranty is just as good as a Weaver as both of them are owned by ATK.  I'd be willing to bet they have the same lenses as well.  The weird thing about some of ATKs brands is that they have sold some of them and bought them back.  The Redfield line was bought by Leupold and then sold back to ATK for some unknown reason.  I don't see ATK/Federal going anywhere anytime soon.  They are not a fly by night company.

Offline Ultra25-06

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
They are ATK (parent company of Weaver), made in PI (a good thing). Supposedly, ATK is now rebadging them as $200+ Weavers.

I see they are ATK however I doubt $200+...see link...http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/44-mm-rifle-scopes-by-federal.aspx?a=540524 That price makes me cautious...but I have no first hand experience with them, would be interested in a extended field report just to see how they hold up. A report that would catch my intrest would contain use above 6500 ft in snow, rain, or fog and 45 degree or lower temp. Also is it repetable with many uses? Now my other thoughts are if it is a $200+ scope why sell it at such a major loss in this economy? Or why would the price be so low if it is worth that? I dont see how it could be manufactured with high grade components and sell for so cheap even if its made from a discontinued product line lets say. The company I would think would still want to get thier return and some profit. These are only my thoughts and questions.
USAF
Proud NRA member.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 09:09:52 AM »
My local shop sells the Intensitys for $249