Author Topic: Honest question on barrel  (Read 497 times)

Offline Ultra25-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Wish I was Hunting, getting closer. Spring bear.
Honest question on barrel
« on: January 05, 2010, 06:29:44 AM »
This is only a thought I have and am looking for a honest answers. Would it be safe to have a barrel put on a lathe and turned/tappered down to a size still safe for operating pressure? Sort of like a light weight barrel. The barrel in question is from a 26" 25-06 ultra. If not thats fine. If so how would one go about determining the min. safe diameter? Thinking .585 may be ok. What other factors would come into play?
What did you do today...for Freedom?
Today, at the front, he died...Today, what did you do? Next time you see a list of dead and wounded, ask yourself: "What have I done for freedom? What can I do tomorrow that will save the lives of men like this and help them win the war?"
Taken from WWII poster, still applies today.
USAF
Proud NRA member.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Honest question on barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »
H&R bores are .0005" larger at the muzzle than the breech end, this is due to them turning the barrels after they are bored, turning it down even more will open it up a bit more, just how much I don't know, but I wouldn't turn the muzzle down any, just thin barrel so it has a fairly straight contour like the Superlights, instead of heavily tapered, which start out as the same blanks as all barrels at 36".

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:12:14 AM »
.585 shoud be plenty at the muzzel, it is real easy to just do a straight taper from in front of the forearm lug to the muzzel and then re-crown it.  Anyone with a lathe can do it for you.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline aromakr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:38:37 AM »
Tim:
Please explain your comment, I'm having trouble grasping how turning the outside dia. down increases the bore size.
Bob

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain