Author Topic: topper 158 12 ga scope mount  (Read 981 times)

Offline capnbo

• Trade Count: (0)
topper 158 12 ga scope mount
« on: January 01, 2010, 02:39:52 AM »
I have a topper model 158 12 ga that my dad (gunsmith) converted into a 45 cal. ML back in the 80's. I have been shooting open sights on this but next year plan to put a scope on it which MS allows for primitive weapons. My question is what is the best
scope base for this 12 gage barrel? The handi rifle mount does not contact the barrel the full length on the rifles. My search shows a weaver #82 and a deadnutz game reaper
11003 will work on the rifles with full contact? Any suggestions and help will be very much appreciated. This gun is a family heirloom and I want the best/strongest mount/rings available for a 40mm/1" scope. Thanks.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: topper 158 12 ga scope mount
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 02:54:31 AM »
WELCOME!!

First thing is the 12Ga barrel is mighty thin and using a factory setup with only three screws is a recipe for problems. I have put some peeps on 12Ga guns, but the peeps weight and leverage it can put on the screws is infinitesimal in comparison to mounting a scope on one. If I was forced to do this, I would make my own mount using a universal rail and put in extra screws, I would open those holes up to allow #8 screws and then clean and epoxy that base to the barrel.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline capnbo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: topper 158 12 ga scope mount
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:55:59 AM »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. It looks like he used a 45 cal. sleeve in the barrel for the conversion so it may have enough thickness. If I decide to go ahead with the scope, will let you know how it comes out.