Author Topic: Working-Up a Load-Shooting Distances  (Read 422 times)

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Working-Up a Load-Shooting Distances
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
Greetings:

I have read the older threads on working up loads and they are very informative.  Beyond starting with the selection of a preferred bullet, and the intended use for the round, everyone seems to develop their own system.  I do not do much reloading, but I am going to work up a load for my 25-06 to hopefully harvest a few coyotes here in central Illinois.  Probably going to work with the Sierra 100 gr HPBT and maybe the Hornady 75 gr V-Max (if I can find some).  Actually, I have not completely given up on the box of Sierra 90 gr HPBT's in my cabinet....if I could just find a recipe that works.

I am rambling.  My real question has to do with shooting distances while doing my initial work at the range.  Is there anything wrong with working short distances 25-50 yards for the first few goarounds?  I suppose this to is a matter of personal preference, but I would like to hear how you people approach this issue.

Tight Lines and Ten Rings

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Working-Up a Load-Shooting Distances
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
When dialing in a new scope or a new load , I tend to start at 50 yards for a few rounds till I get it centered on the target , after that its out to 100 . At that point if the loads look good and group well , its out to 200 or more as needed .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
As Stimpy said, to get it on the paper, but you will waist alot of time and bullets with the close shots. Especially when shooting lite for the cal. bullets. I have fired 90 and 100 gr. bullets in a .30-06 and got good groups at 50 yrds., passible groups at 75 yrds. and patterens at 100 yrds. It all has to do with the bullets not being stablized. Real heavy bullets in fast twist barrel some times will go the other way and shoot better at ranges over 200 yrds. than they will closer.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:45:46 PM »
Yup, same as those fellers..it can look real good at 50,,but 100 is just the beginning of proving their accurate.
 I just joined a year membership at another club in town just so I could use the 200 range they have.

But, you'll know it's a poor load for the bullet if it won't group well at 50, I have seen some of my starting loads be that bad, they just needed a bit more umph' behind'm. I almost want to start higher than minimum charges with new bullets. But being a novice I think that's a bad idea, besides more loading = more experiance. My scopes shoot WAY low at 25 so I don't bother,
 Once I find a charge that's grouping well I start messing with seating depth/COAL, then +/- a 10th or 2 grn weight. I'm learning it takes time to find THE load, but that's half the fun.

p.s. I haven't had to go to max yet to git good groups, I have seen groups open up after a certain point charge wise, and "good" has been in the mid-range of the book stats., Could be cause' I'm useing 22" Handi barrels
found elsewhere

Offline shot1

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
Before you bankrupt yourself shooting up a bunch of bullets try this load.
It comes from the 4th ed. Sierra manual as far as the powder amount. This load really shoots in about every 25-06 I have seen. 52 grs IMR 4350, Rem case, CCI-BR2 primer 100 gr Sierra loaded 10 thousands off the lands. Sight it in 3" high at 100 yards and it will be on the money at 300 yards and about 3" low at 350 yards.

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »
Shot1 I think you gave me that recipe the other night on a different thread.  I wrote it down and that is where I intend to start.

The club I belong to has a 500 yard range.  However, my eyes and my optics are not up to the task.  I am not very comfortable beyond 300 yards and most of my paper is punched at less than 150 yards.  My Burris 3x9 should be OK....I think it is my eyes more than anything.  Had cataracts removed from my left eye and I think I am close (within a year) on my right.  I am right handed.  Might be kidding myself about those long bean-field 'yotes.

I am going out tomorrow looking for some IMR or H4350.  If I can find some, I should be back on the range yet this week.  I will start at 50 and if I am on the paper, move to 100 for initial tests.
Tight Lines and Ten Rings