Author Topic: Pre '64 M70 Safety Stiff  (Read 892 times)

Offline Tim50

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Pre '64 M70 Safety Stiff
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:26:55 AM »
I have a M70 pre '64 fwt that the saftey is VERY stiff on. I know nothing about taking these apart for cleaning or such...what are some of your suggestions?? Is it just cleaning or could it be more? Thanks for any input!... ;)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Pre '64 M70 Safety Stiff
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »
  Due to the nature of the mechanical design, in my experience, most pre-64 Model 70s are pretty stiff to place in on.  They don't just block the trigger, they block or interrupt the firing pin.

The bolt, bolt shroud and safety of these rifles are not very hard to take apart and put back together.  I would suggest that you get a good set of instructions, dismantle and clean very thoroughly, lighty lubricate, re-assemble and test it before you think of doing anything else.  It will still be somewhat stiff to operate, but it should be smooth, not gritty.

Hope this helps.

Mannyrock

Offline Tim50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:53:22 AM »
Thanks for the tip!

Offline bustedknee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »
I have had a couple of older pre-64 model 70's that had "stiff" safeties.

An old gunsmith told me the little ball in the bolt can get a flat spot worn on it.  It should be replaced or the flat spot smoothed to return it to proper function.  However, I think a jig is needed to completely dis-assemble the bolt so I have never completly taken it apart down to that level.

I have the book with the directions and plan to try it on some cold winter evening. 

Maybe someone with some smithing experience can enlighten us on this.