Author Topic: Nikon Coyote 4.5-14x40  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Nikon Coyote 4.5-14x40
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:24:24 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has see or has the Nikon Coyote (4.5-14x40).  Was looking for a scope to put on my R-15 so I can take back the Bushnell 4200 4-16x50 that's sitting on it and put it back on the 204 Encore barrel.  I've never owned a Nikon before but this one looks reasonable and to tell the truth would look pretty cool sitting on the camo AR platform.  But more importantly I need a good scope that won't disapoint at 300 plus yards.

Thanks,
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline wareagleguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nikon Coyote 4.5-14x40
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
I have one.
I also have many Nikon scopes and have not had any problems.  I think the Nikons are hard to beat for the money.
As for the Coyote I think it is a fine scope but I have limited time in the field with it.  It uses a reticle is a little different than I have used.  It uses three rings one on top of another set for different distances. You simply put the target in the ring (accoring to the distance) and pull the trigger.  It seems the concept would allow one the aquire a target faster but again I am not sure of that.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:20:46 PM »
Buckskin

I have the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 Side Focus mounted on my CZ .204.  Very nice scope - clear, sharp, and the adjustments are repeatable and accurate.  I particularly like the side focus.  Perfect scope for that size rifle.  I didn't want a scope that was going to over power the rifle as some of the big 30mm tube / 50mm objective scopes that I have mounted on my heavy varmint rigs would.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »
Thanks Larry,

I haven't looked through one yet, but have found several good review on them.  I'm want to put it on my R-15 which currently has a 4200 4-16x50 on it.  I really like the 4200, but I robbed it from my encore 204  barrel when I got the AR.  For the price it seems very reasonable and I also would like the side focus feature.  I would be giving up the extra 2x and 10mm of view, but think it would do fine on the 223.  It would also look pretty cool sitting on the R-15's camo job!  I happen to live about 330 yards from a natural funnel which gives me quite a few shots at yotes at that range.  To tell the truth, I want my 204 back for that range shooting.  It's more accurate and that 32 grain pill put them down better than the 55's that I'm shooting with the 223.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:40 AM »
If you're worried about losing the extra 2X magnification take a look at the 6-18x40 Buckmaster instead.  It's pretty much the same scope, minus a couple of the bells and whistles like the anti-reflective lens and the camo.  I've got one on my .223 that I picked up at Midway for $299 with a mil-dot reticle (I think they are still on sale).  They are really nice scopes for the money.

Jake