Author Topic: Primer Pocket Uniformer tools  (Read 670 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Primer Pocket Uniformer tools
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:30:35 AM »
Is this a needed tool?
 I bought a new bag of win 308 and those things looked kinda beat-up for new. I did deburr useing a large (#2) drill bit from the inside, I used that bit because it fits well, cut the burrs off without deformation of the hole itself. I had 2 that where just too stuborn for the bit to turn nice, and will use those for dummies.
 While primming these for my first fireing, I noticed 5-6 of them took considerable force too seat the primer deep enough. With most you can feel the primer bottom out, and the case won't "rock" on a flat surface.
 So can you guy's answer general questions, or describe your technique for proper prep of primer pockets/flash hole?
Do I need a Pocket uniformer? Do I really need a de-burring tool?
What if I get Mil surp brass with crimped primers, will this tool take care of that or is that another item?
$10 here, $15 there, another $12,,,This nickel/dime stuff is starting too pile up!
found elsewhere

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Re: Primer Pocket Uniformer tools
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
If you have alot of military crimps the Dillon Super Swage 600 is an awesome tool.  It uniforms the primer pocket with little effort.  I think Lyman makes the flash hole deburring tool that I use.  Good luck.

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:57:15 AM »
1. You do not need to uniform primer pockets.
2. You can cut the rim of military primer pockets with a deburring tool, some thing you should have already if you trim cases.

With that said - I have a RCBS prep center that I uniform primer pockets on and clean primer pockets (not essential either). That is just me. I do not shoot very much military brass so I am still cutting the rim off with a deburring tool.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
I have a coulple but rarely ever use them... I used it mostly for military cases after swageing the crimp out. I dont use militarys cases much anymore.
 I like the little LEE primer pocket cleaner tool. RCBS & LYMAN make one that kinda looks like a sreaight wire brush. It works well also. But this only CLEANS the pocket. IMHO this is FAR more important than uniforming a pocket.

For the past couple years, I have also been de-burring flash holes. I am amazed at the burrs on some cases. Many guys pupu this practice. I can't honestly say I have found any differences in my loads since doing this, but I like the consistance it affords. As I always say, consistance is key to everything in shooting a firearm.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:01:22 PM »
I bought Whitetail Engineering primer pocket uniformers years back. Don't think their even in business anymore. Whole tool was made out of carbide. Absolutley the best there ever is/was.
Thing is, not sure it's neccesary for 98% of shooters. Not sure it was neccesary for what I needed. But, it makes me feel better, so in the long run, makes me shoot better. Mind game.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
I de-burr and ream pockets,but I also have too much time on my hands ;D

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 02:34:56 AM »
For the past couple years, I have also been de-burring flash holes. I am amazed at the burrs on some cases

Ditto on those burrs, sometimes I wonder if they didn't punch those holes with an old nail!

My flash hole uniformer came from Sinclair.

Offline shot1

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:46:01 AM »
I use a Lyman tool for both the inside burr removal and the pocket uniformer. It only takes a minute to do. Accuracy is all about consistency. To answer your question, "do I really need" these tools. No you don't have to have them. Factory ammo is loaded with out their use. But if you want the most accurate ammo that is possible for you to load then YES you need them. The removal of the burr on the inside of the case around the flash hole has attributed to the greatest over all consistent accuracy of my loads.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 07:57:31 PM »
Thanks guy's, looks like I need another tool, what da heck, if cared for this stuff lasts for years.
found elsewhere

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:33:50 AM »
I think Sinclair makes the best uniformer.